Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's an antique revolver made in 1875. Can I mail it? I know it's made before 1898 so it's an antique. But reading the USPS reg's::bang_wall:431.3 Antique Firearm Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shotgun/pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
  2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

If I'm reading this correctly, if it takes a cartridge then No.
Anybody know for sure?
thanks,
dennis

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
That IS affirmative...

NO if it takes a center fire cartridge...even though that is NOT an ATF law...

It's only a USPS regulation. Their trucks...their rules

I'd ship it as "Clock Machine Parts" through UPS ( Big Brown )...and Insure it for the total value.

If lost or stolen...the gun will not be found...and you get what it was "worth" back !! ( All you can ask anyway )

Done it a few times...always worked for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn,
I live across the street from the post office. Out here in hicksville, closet UPS is 30 miles away.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
It IS what IT IS Brother...

I can only tell you the truth...and what they force you to do is only their regulations.

I imagine you could pull the same trick with the USPS...but, it IS a government entity...so, I wouldn't !!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
USPS will ship any handgun (no long guns) antique or otherwise, but they require a form completed by a FFL (I forget the form number). I've done this dozens of times. My FFL requires me to fill out a 4473, but I think this for their records/protection since no transfer is taking place at that point.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I have sent and received handguns through they USPS. When I sent my 1979 SAA to Jim Martin to get fixed, I put my FFL in it, insured it and sent it off. The Post Mistress knew what was in it and never said a thing. I bought the box from her, put the cased unloaded SAA with my FFL in the box she taped it shut, paid my $25.00 and off it went.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
The problem you may run into is that your local post office may not understand or interpret
their own rules correctly.

Mine here told me "no guns via USPS" from their office unless you are a licensed dealer
(you -- not using somebody else's FFL) and shipping to another licensed FFL dealer. C&R
doesn't count. They wanted to see a copy of BOTH FFL's before accepting for shipment.

Now, you could always "lie" and ship it as machine parts or some such thing, but since
you're dealing with the government, I wouldn't.

I have always used FEDEX, which is expensive since they require next day air for any
firearm ($50 for a handgun plus insurance) -- but at least no hassle and no worries
about things getting "lost".

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I never use FEDEX for anything since they are anti gun and technically you cannot have a hand gun in any of their offices - FEDEX policy.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Jim Martin uses USPS, you just have to have your FFL in the package and both of you have to be a FFL

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Around here in Ohio, you can have an FFL holder mail it thru the USPS. The FFL holder has his FFL on file with the postal service. YOU can send a handgun thru FedEx. It has to go 2nd day air which cost me (last Mar) $125. It beats going to a UPS main hub and going thru all the BS that UPS hands out! Try FedEx? Good Luck!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I build flint lock rifles which are classed as antiques by ATF rules. I have been challenged by one of the postal ladies and won. I also understand the postal rules to allow ANTIQUE class pistols to be legal via USPS but some state laws do not! I think the key word is ANTIQUE classification by ATF. If gun is NOT an antique in order to ship via USPS Priority mail it must be shipped from and to a FFL Dealer. I have shipped many pistols that way with no problem. I use a local FFL Dealer for $15 plus the back ground fee which I think is $2. My FFL is very cautious on shipping legal and both of us are sure we are shipping legally.
tdennis

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This was discussed extensively in a Thread I started on my Custer range Colt. The lowdown is you can not legally ship a handgun through USPS. Simply being an antique does not make a difference. Read the postal regulation very carefully to understand this. John Kopec does not have an FFL. There is no practical way to get a handgun to him except to use Fed-Ex which may be difficult to use as he requires a return label from them. I sent mine through USPS Express mail and assumed all risks if it were to go missing. Insurance may not cover the loss if it not legal to ship in the first place. I put enough on it to insure a signature and proper handling. It was there overnight and the return trip was the same. FFL to FFL is OK with USPS on a handgun. FFL is not needed on the senders part with a long gun and in most states not needed for an antique on either end.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts