Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an upcoming auction and I got an early look at this gun. I think the grips are not original, maybe gutta percha, however it has a tight action, decent bore, but the cylinder walls look kind of thin. Here are the best pics I could get. Thanks for your help, randy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If this revolver truly is 1875 production, it likely had a 7 1/2" barrel originally, and walnut grips. So, the barrel might be cut or replaced. Grips definitely replaced, 1896 or later, as Eagle gutta percha grips were produced about 1882 to 1896. Grips appear to be true first generation gutta percha. To confirm, do they have a burnt rubber smell. Seems to be well put together, not buffed/not ill fitting parts, a grey gun, heavily used but not abused. If the barrel has been cut, it's likely worth $1,000 to $1250. If originally a 5 1/2" barrel, $1500 seems about right. The lack of a crosspin confirms this is a blackpowder gun.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I say its worth $1500 minimum and perhaps as high as $2200 IMO
Not with the possibility that the barrel might be cut and with replaced grips. A factory letter could prove useful, as well as photographs of the end of the barrel and front sight.

I saw a nickel finish revolver with a cut barrel of the same vintage with walnut grips and original nickel, this being fairly substantial, at a gun show a few years ago with a $2300 price tag, and it wasn't moving.

Does the OPs revolver have an italic barrel address, which it should?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Looks like the trigger is too far forward which would indicate internal action damage?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hammer is in the "safety" notch, not all the way down.

Best regards,
That's exactly right, the guy at the auction house had done that, this gun is tight , the serial number is hard to read, but is correct, thanks for the info, I forgot to mention all 4 clicks spell colt extremely well, if this helps

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In western Michigan at the 1750.00 tag price it wouldn't lay on the table very long.
the price tag was from a long time ago, when the old gentleman who has passed bought the gun. I have no idea what he actually paid for it ,

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
From the pictures and additional information I can’t comment on the condition or originality past what mrcvs said. Of the early SSAs (until approx. an 22000) only about 5200 were civilian guns, including promotionals and other factory give aways and the British and other foreign deliveries. Of the US sold guns many have not survived.

So while not rare, the early civilians in more ore less original condition are not every day opportunities at reasonable prices, which I think are the potential values stated here..

That said, I think at least one early civilian SSA in every collection is a worthy goal. If this gun checks out except for the grips and a period shortened original barrel, I think any collector of moderate means should be proud to have it in their collection.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on the 1875 , I was able to take a closer look today, and will add some pictures, I think it is all original, the barrel has been cut to 51/2 in. And there is an italic line that is very hard to see, the loading gate is #7850, and the face of the cylinder has a m stamp and c stamp, I have no idea if that has relevance

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts