Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to buy this SAA the other day but it sold before I got back to seller, What would you value this gun at. All original not refinished 1876 civilian, Nickel, original Colt MOP grips. I'm kinda kicking myself in the rear for not jumping on it.

1876colt.jpg

1876colt2.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
A lot of the early single actions were shipped blue to the NY dealers who immediately had them nickel plated. The one piece pearls are neat but I don't see 15k there unless there was something else going for it. I'm often surprised what folks are paying for things....I can't ever seem to be the seller to those folks :) .....but there are folks out there that can spend 15k for a gun and it means no more to them than the lint in my front pocket means to me.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of the early single actions were shipped blue to the NY dealers who immediately had them nickel plated. The one piece pearls are neat but I don't see 15k there unless there was something else going for it. I'm often surprised what folks are paying for things....I can't ever seem to be the seller to those folks :) .....but there are folks out there that can spend 15k for a gun and it means no more to them than the lint in my front pocket means to me.
I think that was the case with this one, I was at about 10k for it, Didn't want to go much higher

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
I think that was the case with this one, I was at about 10k for it, Didn't want to go much higher
I haven't bought or sold one like it lately so I don't know where the market is on it but my gut said 8k would kill it stone dead in my area. The one piece pearl stocks are interesting because you rarely see really vintage one piece pearls.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice looking and the grips look great.

Just curious did it letter nickel and with those grips?

It lettered Blue, 7-1/2 with no mention of grips But if I understand serial #'s from colt on these early #30,000 and under all letter blue with walnut, Even if they were something else, At least thats what I was told

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
It lettered Blue, 7-1/2 with no mention of grips But if I understand serial #'s from colt on these early #30,000 and under all letter blue with walnut, Even if they were something else, At least thats what I was told
Colt did factory nickel some of these early guns.

I've seen a pair of single actions in the 11xx serial range that lettered factory nickel, but, the NY dealers were always trying to find a way to save $ and they would take new blued guns and strip them and nickel plate them themselves because they could do it cheaper than what colt charged for the nickel finish. Also they restocked a lot of the early guns with one piece ivory. They had their own stock makers and engravers and platers that they employed or contracted with to do work for them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
the day I kick myself for not buying a 15k gun will be a good one....who knows maybe one day :)....for now I am happy to have the 2 to 3k....

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have one that lettered Blue,Stocks not listed s/n 27xxx Shipped to Cincinnati
All matching ,grips numbered to it as well. Great bore.

Guess I should look for some old Ivory's or MOP's to go on it.
I don't see it pulling that kind of money.
1876 45 LC 5.jpg 1876 45 LC 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
beyond top retail for all the missing nickel on the straps. Without a factory letter to verify the finish and the pearl grips, that's an awful lot of coin for a nickel gun. Blue would be a different story, but a letter would still be required. And, the cylinder looks like it is a different type of plate, like chrome.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
You were wise to pass it up. Have your woman give you a hug for being a smart collector. If it won't letter, even 8 is too much. I just bought a denver shipped 1877 45 with all original parts, renickeled like yours, with a letter to J.P. Lower, for 3600, and it lettered blue. The nickel was well done but that was all she wrote. Even at that, I was a little hesitant but I'll bring it back to blue and case, then post the completions photos. Stay in the hunt and hunt smart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts