Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir...
and that is a gorgeous all matching serial numbered, single line addressed, Black Powder framed Colt Single Action Army chambered in .45 Colt with what appears to be genuine Ivory stocks that was blue finished before it left the factory and has since been nickel plated & engraved...other than that, I leave you to the experts here.

If you decide to fire it, use ONLY Black Powder ammunition

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir...
and that is a gorgeous all matching serial numbered, single line addressed, Black Powder framed Colt Single Action Army chambered in .45 Colt with what appears to be genuine Ivory stocks that was blue finished before it left the factory and has since been nickel plated & engraved...other than that, I leave you to the experts here.

If you decide to fire it, use ONLY Black Powder ammunition
Amen, brother

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so I have a few questions. Sorry about my inexperience, but some of this I think I know, I just want to make sure. When you say it was "blue", what do you mean by that? I see it in the paperwork, but not exactly clear on that one. As far as the nickel plating and engraving, does that affect the value? and for the better or worse? Also, is there anyway to figure out when/where the engraving was done?

Thank you soo much for all your help!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Nice inheritance. I never have inherited a Colt Single Action Army revolver before.

Having said that…

Your revolver would have originally been blued, had one piece walnut stocks, and a 7 1/2” barrel. In that era, if the stocks are listed as “not listed”, they would have been the standard ones of the time. If the barrel length is “not listed”, it would have been standard as well—7 1/2”. The one line barrel address further reiterated the fact that this barrel was unlikely to have originally been 4 3/4”. Also, the front sight has been reset in a non professional manner. The grips on it now are a faux ivory. The revolver has been buffed and then engraved in an amateur fashion as it’s not of the quality of the preeminent engravers of the day. Then a nickel finish with gold plated highlights was applied.

Value? Whatever someone was willing to pay for a firearm long removed from any semblance of originality but looking showy for a shadow box. In today’s market, the ultimate value is best determined at auction, but maybe $1000 to $1200?

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
For insurance purposes, you may want to have it appraised. The Single Action Army market "used to be like the tides" but it has been high tide for quite awhile now.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The grips look like real ivory to me. I can see the Schreger lines. But they do not seem to fit well, so most likely not made for this gun.

View attachment 806191
I wasn’t sure here. I can’t see the Schreger lines on my phone. IF this is real ivory, then double my estimate. $2000 would be a reasonable estimate as to value.

The OP could remove the grips and apply a red hot needle to a concealed place. If it smells like burning hair, it’s ivory. If it sinks into melted material, they are fake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all! The only reason I'm concerned about the value is for insurance reasons. I love the gun too much to sell... My grandpa was an awesome man! He loved his guns, knives, belt buckles, or hell, anything that is Western... I was blessed to get this. I really appreciate all the info. Always love learning new things. (And hopefully this doesn't turn into a new hobby, lol, I've already got enough!)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I cant see a barrel number but it most likely will match the others. Obviously the gun has been refinished and engraved. Neither was a great job. The grips do look like real ivory but a poor fit to the gun. Also no good pictures to see if the hammer is of the correct era for the gun. Obvious cut barrel and reshaped trigger guard. Not a lot of collector value her but some folks may like the looks. It could easily be Mexican work. The letter really adds nothing to the gun. A common shipping destination and proof the gun is not original. The look of the nickel says it was not done in the 1800s but more recently maybe even 1950s to 60s. 2000 to 4000 is a fair estimate with the actual value being closer to 2000. Having said that I can see the gun selling for 4000 esily enough due to its eye appeal those who like a bit of bling.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Thank you all! The only reason I'm concerned about the value is for insurance reasons. I love the gun too much to sell... My grandpa was an awesome man! He loved his guns, knives, belt buckles, or hell, anything that is Western... I was blessed to get this. I really appreciate all the info. Always love learning new things. (And hopefully this doesn't turn into a new hobby, lol, I've already got enough!)
Are you anywhere near our southern border? That is consistent with the styling and taste of fairly well-heeled owners in Mexico. The bottom of the trigger guard is so flat that I have to say that it was gunsmithed into that shape. Since all of the modification and ornamentation was to personal preference, the flat bottomed guard although unusual, may also have fit the taste of a prior owner. Consider that there have bvery likely been multiple owners over nearly 150 years. The engraving has been buffed, so that appears to have been accomplished long before the plating. This is one weapon that has an interesting, if not fascinating story to tell.

Values will vary greatly, but at auction, given its age and the combination of modifications, it could reasonably sell for a surprising amount.

Reactions: inspcalahan

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
The grips on it now are a faux ivory.
As others have said. Grips are old elephant ivory. Grips alone are worth $1000. Makes the gun easily worth $2K plus. Gun was shipped to NYC a month after Custer died. And two weeks prior to Bill Cody's dust up with Yellow Hair on Warbonnet creek.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts