Colt Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
One example of the "Metropolitan Police Dept D. C.". This was the first of at least three shipments. All that I have seen have been factory refinished. I have a list of all 252 serial numbers in this shipment, and a snippet of that shipping ledger entry is included here.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
One example of the "Metropolitan Police Dept D. C.". This was the first of at least three shipments. All that I have seen have been factory refinished. I have a list of all 252 serial numbers in this shipment, and a snippet of that shipping ledger entry is included here.
Seller on a well known Gun auction sight has listed some 1877 parts, with a back strap engraved "Metropolitan Police Dept D. C."

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Just acquired a strange one. Made in the 1890's. Looks to have been .41 caliber originally. Has been sleeved down to .32 (but a .32 Colt is loose. .32 S&W fits better but much shorter than the stepped chamber. .32WCF is too large) and has a New Army .32WCF barrel on it. Not a bad job but definately a shop alteration. So far I can not understand why someone would reduce the caliber. Am wondering if there is anywhere that a .41 would be illegal but a .32 would not?
Using the dimensions for .41 vs .38 cylinder diameters provided by victorio I confirmed that this was originally a .41 caliber. Cylinder measures about 1.375" - 1.378". Maybe I will come across a .41 cylinder and barrel, cheap and change this back to a .41???? Thanks..

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Using the dimensions for .41 vs .38 cylinder diameters provided by victorio I confirmed that this was originally a .41 caliber. Cylinder measures about 1.375" - 1.378". Maybe I will come across a .41 cylinder and barrel, cheap and change this back to a .41???? Thanks..
Maybe my comment about a change in cylinder diameters in about Sept 1877 was misunderstood. At that time both the 38 and 41 cylinders were increased to the same diameter. That new diameter should apply to 32 cylinders as well.

Your cylinder may have at least the last two digits on the gun's SN on the back end. It may take a 3x magnifying glass to see them.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts