Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1877 model Colt Lightning that was manufactured in 1903 and I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone about if it can handle modern ammunition or not... HELP! Also, can somebody please tell me does it fire .38 LC or .38 short or what?

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
Welcome !

Without inspection and for your safety , it's not a good idea for us to say a 100 year old revolver is safe to shoot with any ammo .
I can say that if I owned an 1877 .38 mfg in 1903 that locked up tight and showed no signs of abuse , I'd probably fire it on occasion with modern "cowboy" loads .

38 Long Colt or 38 Short Colt would be correct .

Got any photos to share ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning on taking it to a gunsmith to get it into proper working order, that's for sure. I really just want to fire it at least once just so I can say I have. Thanks for the reply. I'll put some pics of it up.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Most gunsmiths won't work on a M-1877 Lightning ... the mechanism is quite difficult to deal with ... Try Ed Cox at Coltparts.com ... Lightnings are his specialty... Ed does good work as he has fixed a couple of mine... Try a websearch for another gunsmith that does lightnings if you want a comparison... I know my local smith won't touch them... Just my opinion ... Bob Best

1 - 4 of 4 Posts