Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I found a decent, definetly not pristine, 1877 Thunderer made in 1896. I found it at one of my dealers I buy from in Dallas, TX. I called them to discuss it's condition and the finish is pretty well worn off, the bore is a little dirty but good rifling, and the left grip plate is chipped at the bottom. The good part is the action is in very good condition with a tight cylinder lock-up. The dealer stated that they bought it from the family of the original owner who was a rancher years ago. Now, I asked them if this was true as a "story" is not to be considered and they agreed, but felt it was true. Anyway, I got the old Thunderer and waiting to receive it by UPS. I got a couple of photos and will post what is coming. After I receive it, I will clean and lube (not remove any patina, just normal cleaning). and post some of my photos.

Now my "Fine" condition 1877 Lighting will have a stable mate. I probably will buy a set of Vintage Grips and keep the originals stored away. I may try to get the new grips plates worked over a bit to make them appear more "original" to it's age. I really like the 1877 revolvers as they fit my hand perfectly. Now I need to gert some .41 Colt brass and load some BP rounds!

Revolver Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I found recoil was a bit stiff in the Thunderer as opposed to my Bisley. Starline makes brass (and buying direct from them is pretty cheap). GAD is good on bullets for the .41. I retired the Thunderer but shoot the Bisley regularly.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BearBio,

Thanks for the information! I was aware that Starline manufactured the brass, but did not know bullets were available from GAD. I don't plan on much shooting with the Thunderer, but if I have a firearm, I like to have some loaded rounds. I plan on loading them with BP and maybe get off a few cylinders and then retire her!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1877 arrived yesterday late afternoon! She is in better condition than expected. The action is slick and smooth. After a cleaning of the years of dust out of the bore, it is bright and shiney, very good rifling with only a couple of light minor pitting showing up.Well pleased with th revolver! Here are a coupleof photos I made this morning after a regular cleaning

Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
359 Posts
The 1877 arrived yesterday late afternoon! She is in better condition than expected. The action is slick and smooth. After a cleaning of the years of dust out of the bore, it is bright and shiney, very good rifling with only a couple of light minor pitting showing up.Well pleased with th revolver! Here are a coupleof photos I made this morning after a regular cleaning

View attachment 43706 View attachment 43707 View attachment 43708
Nice looking Thunderer, are you going to letrter it?

The sear screw is sitting lower in the frame on the left side of the gun. I can't see the right side well enough to tell if it just needs to be tightened or if its a replacement.

I love firing my Thunderer's, I am always impressed with their power when compared to a .38 LC. A few years ago, someone on another forum gave me a Lyman .41 LC Hollow Base mold, so bullets have not been a problem for me to obtain. I buy my brass from Track of the Wolf, but they are pricey at $0.70 a shell.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Nice, you will have fun with that. If you look around a bit you should be able to find some ammo. I just happen to have a worn set of unbroken stocks for a Lightning/Thunderer that would look appropriate on your gun. If you will send me a PM with your mailing address, I will send them to you.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Nice looking Thunderer, are you going to letrter it?

The sear screw is sitting lower in the frame on the left side of the gun. I can't see the right side well enough to tell if it just needs to be tightened or if its a replacement.

I love firing my Thunderer's, I am always impressed with their power when compared to a .38 LC. A few years ago, someone on another forum gave me a Lyman .41 LC Hollow Base mold, so bullets have not been a problem for me to obtain. I buy my brass from Track of the Wolf, but they are pricey at $0.70 a shell.
Nice, you will have fun with that. If you look around a bit you should be able to find some ammo. I just happen to have a worn set of unbroken stocks for a Lightning/Thunderer that would look appropriate on your gun. If you will send me a PM with your mailing address, I will send them to you.
Great looking gun. However unless reading this wrong. He received this almost 7 years ago. Just adding this as info for the questions raised......

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think the sear and trigger screws have just been swapped at reassembly, that is quite a common mistake.
May be Abwehr can confirm, if he still remembers of that detail (7 years ago !)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts