Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am asking for some help on this new shotgun I purchased. I just recently purchased a Colt 1878 double barrel shotgun. The serial number puts it at 1883 for production. It's a 10 gauge with 32in barrels. What I am curious of is what are the chambers? I really can't find anything to tell the size. I would figure 3in but I would like to be certain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,209 Posts
I have loaded low pressure 10 gauge shells with the 2 7/8 length hulls and they work fine in my Colt 1878 10 gauge but the chamber may even be shorter. 2 7/8 length shells are hard to find these days so I have had to cut 3 1/2 length hulls to make work. Low pressure data is available that provides pressure in the 5-6000 LUP range.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A quick search on Goggle indicates that the 1878 10 gage had 2 1/2 inch chambers. Also found that the barrels were damascus which eliminates the use of any smokeless powder loads. If you intend for it to be a shooter, you need to have it inspected by a competent gunsmith that is familiar with older guns.

Let me add that if you plan to shoot, you might want to consider brass hulls for your reloading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts