Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collect old Ruger revolvers and don't know much about Colts. A Model A Ford friend of mine wants to sell me two Colts before he dies and I want to pay him what they are really worth, but not more. Can you folks give me an accurate idea what these two might be valued at.
Colt Model P frontier six shooter, mfg 1878, peacemaker. SN 47019, Pat sept 19, 1871, July 2, ’72, Jan 19 ’75. Caliber is 44-40.
All original, wood grips in nice shape, metal is down to bare steel but not rusted, works just fine. I would estimate condition at 60-70%

Single barrel Colt derringer , swivels to load¬ÖNice original condition, works fine, condition 80%
Many thanks for any help, my email is
[email protected]
Jim Boehmke
Livermore, CA

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
ANY original black powder Colt Single Action is worth BIG bucks.

I suggest going down to your local book store and seeing if they have a copy of "The Bluebook of Gun Values".

This book is about the best source of ballpark values, and lists prices for guns in varying conditions.

Just as an idea, a 1878 SAA can run from $3000 to over $20,000.

The Colt derringer could be a First, Second, or Third Model, and prices run from $500 to over $5000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the tip. Will ease on down to the local gun shop and see how the book looks for prices.
Great Forum.
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've taken your advice and the gun shop made me a copy of the page that lists the values of this old revolver.
NOW. With out buying a book etc. Is there some place where I can read about CONDITION?
There is no bluing left on the gun, but is has what I think are original wood grips, and the gun is all there and not modified and works fine. My guess is that it's between 10 and 30%. If anyone has a written definition of these lower grades they could email me and that would be of great help. Open for suggestions. Thanks again, Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
That same book has conditions listed,very easy to read and decide upon.Check it out again.

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

1 - 5 of 5 Posts