Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
photo.jpg This came from a friend, It has a five digit serial number and according to Colt was built in 1879. Nickle with "C" engraving in 45 Colt. Since I usually shoot my weapons, don't know if I should shoot it or display it. It is in excellent condition. All I can say is wow.

·
Registered
512 Posts
First thing I would do is call Colt for the info and a letter.$150 over the phone.(more if it's factory engraved)If it's factory engraved it's probably worth $20000 more than a later job.Either way ,any potential buyer will want to know.JMO

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to the forum Vanroy. Agree with pecosriver about the archive letter if a sale is anywhere in the future. If the gun is original, the letter will be well worth the money spent. Notice you haven't asked for any comments concerning originality, but if you so wish, the experts will probably need clear, close up photos. I'm studying to be considered a novice, but I would recommend you have our collectors evaluate the front sight, ejector rod head, base pin retention screw, hammer and stocks. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Nice looker! Having said that, I did notice a few little things: 1st, the hammer looks to have unfinished sides, which probably means 2nd generation. An 1879 would have a round ejector rod head (you find many that have been replaced with later ones). Is that a caliber marking on the barrel? If so, not original to an 1879. Also looks like a tall front sight. Sorry to pick on it, mabey you already know these things. Someone with more knowledge than me will be along. But, I DO like it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I will take some better pictures. That one was taken with my cellphone. I am not a collector of firearms, I only have a numbers of guns for cross the course, bullseye pistol, and F-class at 1000 yds. I never gave any thought as whether it was all original. I got the gun from a friend that wanted me to clean it up and shoot it as he is not into guns. He got it as a child 40 years ago from some one that had a collection of guns and he had it wrapped in cloth and stored back and came across it while cleaning out some storeage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Chaffee, I had no idea as I am competition shooter and everything I have I shoot, until this fell into my lap. Even tho the five digit serial number match up what you have shared is interesting and yes stamped on the barrel is 45 Colt. I have one other late model SAA and a Cowboy but they are shooters.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
If this gun was made in 1879, it has had the bbl replaced because the caliber was not stamped on the bbl, it was on the trigger guard, the ejector rod head should be a "doughnut" style instead of a "half moon" style. The hammer is a correct "pre war" hammer, but hard to tell from the pictures if it is correct for 1879. The grips are not original as it would have had one piece walnut grips. It appears to have been heavily buffed before engraving and plating, the engraving is not "factory" style, so I'm pretty sure it was engraved after leaving the factory.
Still, a nice old Colt and a pleasure to own!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
If this gun was made in 1879, it has had the bbl replaced because the caliber was not stamped on the bbl, it was on the trigger guard, the ejector rod head should be a "doughnut" style instead of a "half moon" style. The hammer is a correct "pre war" hammer, but hard to tell from the pictures if it is correct for 1879. The grips are not original as it would have had one piece walnut grips. It appears to have been heavily buffed before engraving and plating, the engraving is not "factory" style, so I'm pretty sure it was engraved after leaving the factory.
Still, a nice old Colt and a pleasure to own!
Willin' to bet it started with a 7 1/2" barrel also.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Just saw your 2nd set of pictures and agree with swamprat about the hammer. It must have been the reflection in the first pic as to why I thought it was a shiny sided hammer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts