Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
engraving question

I can pick this up for 2600$ with the holster sn 108148 I don't want to overpay I work hard for my money what do you think I am assuming its not factory engraved at this point

·
Registered
699 Posts
The pictures are way to small and not enough of them to judge anything. The engraving is not good at all and the cylinder does not appear to be original.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I would keep my $2600 in my pocket. Replaced cylinder and grips evident despite grainy photos. Engraving not original to the firearm.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would keep my $2600 in my pocket. Replaced cylinder and grips evident despite grainy photos. Engraving not original to the firearm.
the cylinder has the last 4 digits of he SN stamped I dont know if that makes it legit but if its not a really good deal I don't want to waste my money thanks mrcvs

·
Premium Member
20,522 Posts
That appears to be silver wire inlay in some of the scrolls. If the holster and belt are truly worth over $1000, the gun might be worth $1600, but that cylinder has a plum color and lacks any engraving which would be two negatives even to someone who like non-factory engraved SAA's.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The holster if it as nice as it looks is the real find here. It would be a lot of fun to throw the gun on Gunbroker just to where it would go. It being a 7 and 1/2 inch 3 line antique gun could make it quite interesting. With a bit of luck you could get the rig for free. One would have to assume at this point that the cylinder is a replacement due to color and lack of engraving. It makes you wonder how did the original cylinder go missing from a gun like this?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I would take a chance for around 2k because of the holster. Are there any maker marks on the holster? Maybe you can try to negotiate with seller

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
That rig is probably worth close to 2k by itself (if in good condition). Buy the combo for 22-2300, sell the gun as fast as you can, keep the rig for a better gun or sell it seperate. That's what I'd do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That appears to be silver wire inlay in some of the scrolls. If the holster and belt are truly worth over $1000, the gun might be worth $1600, but that cylinder has a plum color and lacks any engraving which would be two negatives even to someone who like non-factory engraved SAA's.
It is silver inlayed is that a good thing?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Better pictures would be needed for any serious opinions on the engraving or for that matter on the holster and gun. From what can be seen you can tell we all like the leather but not so much the gun. Good clear pictures would really help get you some better opinions. The gun is not one I would buy for a long term investment or even a shooter but when considered with the leather the picture changes to there may a deal here to get a nice rig for little to no money. If you want a gun for collecting or shooting you can certainly do better then this gun for the same money.

The silver inlay if it is silver inlay looks like some of it has come out. The coverage and pattern look pretty nice to me but this is judging from a very poor picture. A good picture could change it into a complete eyesore.

Unless you can get much better pictures or actually handle the gun it is not worth the risk especially if money is an issue.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the poorly engraved barrel address? It looks like the entire barrel was engraved then someone decided it needed an address. The engraving was crudely removed from the top of the barrel and a ruff, primitive address was "engraved". Have you tried to buy just the holster rig?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts