Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came home today with an 1887 Colt Lightning in 38-40 to go with my 1907 Bisley in 38-40. I hesitated on this rifle for a full month, but the allure of the Lightning won me over in the end. It's a carbine barrel length on a rifle and I can't tell if it was done at the factory or done by a gunsmith, but the work is exceptional and the end looks like the factory barrel end on other rifle length barrels, from what I'm told, but it's not possible to know definitively since Colt doesn't have the history on this particular rifle at the factory. I'm happy with it nonetheless and think it goes great with my Bisley.
Jerry Nanson © 2021-5122rd.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very nice "bring home". the pair look great together. may they have a long and happy marriage. if you are happy with the couple, then $$$ does not matter. hope you find the proper diet for them soon, and please grace us with the results.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's in very nice condition, original wood with no cracks, very minor pitting in a couple of areas of the barrel, but overall very nice bore with very crisp rifling.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
That's a nice rifle-pistol combination, and I like the way they look together. There's something about older guns and that age patina they get that just pulls you in, isn't there. These are the kinds of guns that appeal to me, the kinds of guns that seem to have something to say to me. Congratulations on acquiring both of them.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a nice rifle-pistol combination, and I like the way they look together. There's something about older guns and that age patina they get that just pulls you in, isn't there. These are the kinds of guns that appeal to me, the kinds of guns that seem to have something to say to me. Congratulations on acquiring both of them.
That's exactly how I feel when I see and handle these guns - they have a historical aura that draws me in every time. I can't help but wonder how this may have been used to put food on the table or protect livestock or fight off marauders. I sent in the request for a letter, we'll see how that goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts