Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the forum and would like to pose a question for your thoughts and advice.

Recently a friend came upon an old beater someone gave him to practice glass beading on. He looked and decided
to call me and ask about it. The pistol turns out to be the Civillian model of the 18 89 Navy. The surface condition has lots of staining and patches of surface
rusting on one cylinder flute. The bore has some dark surface inside as well. I have not tried to clean the bore, I just ran a rag throught to look.
The grips are very nice walnut, a factory option at the time. There is a 3/8 crack at the bottom of one grip but appears stable. The action has obviously seen
several generations of a family using it to play cowboy or some such as it is very loose.

Aside from the historical significance, is there any reason to think that this migh have any value as a parts pistol or should it practical to give it back
and let my friend have at it with the glass beading?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you'd might have as I certainly realize that this is a problem pistol. I have read the Colt books and in reading, I would hate to
destroy something that may have value to someone else. I'd also like to give my friend the best information I and I couldn't think of a better place to turn.

Thank you for the time reading this and this looks to be a great web site. Already I see the need to hold on to my wallet! So many Colts, so little time (and money).

ldp9b1

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Welcome to the forum... Some of these old guns have historical significance and others do not... The guns have additional markings that may hold significance... You didn't give the serial number. It is located on the butt of the gun... also if you could tell me what markings you see and where they are located I could give you a better idea of exactly what you have... if you could post some good detailed photos of the markings that would help too... but from the description you gave your gun could be anything ... also its possible to confuse this variation with later models so can you tell me if there are any cylinder locking notches on the exterior surface of the cylinder? Let me know and I can probably tell you what you have there... Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1889 Navy

Thanks form the response. The serial number is in the 16xxx range, I believe it is around 1893 manufacture. It is fairly free of markings with the exception of an "M" marked on right
side between the cylinder and frame. These are two photos sent to me as a reference when first discovered. I'll dig it out and make more as requested. I hope the attachments worked. Uploading is new.

Many thanks.
Lewis

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Lewis,

Might the serial number be 16212? If you could get a close up photo of the M I would like to see it ... Thanks for posting the photos ... The gun is probably from the 1st quarter of 1892 ... I personally would pick another example to beadblast ... I would like to hear more... Thanks! :) Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI Bob,

The serial number is 16534 with the rampant colt on the left upper side and "A M" marked opposite on the right side plate. Unfortunately the owner reports a 1/4 inch play when the hammer is cocked. Hope this info
is of some use to you. I didn't know I had stumbled onto such an accomplished group to ask advise of. I appreciate the information and the great input of expertise. Thank you again. Lewis

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I would find another beater to practice bead blast on. Something that doesn't say "Colt" on it.
Regardless of condition, 1889s are the first Colt swing out cylinder revolvers are historically significant in my book.
I would keep it as it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to your input, the owner decided to keep the pistol as it is. He picked the pistol up and reexaming it's value to him. No beadblasting at any rate. Thanks to all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts