Colt Forum banner

1892 army mod 1901 price check

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  COLTDAGUY 
#1 ·
I recently saw a VERY nice 1892 Mod of 1901 military model at a local shop. Is in 90-95% condition with the original wood stocks. All the assembly numbers match and the gun is simply gorgeous. In real world dollars how much do you think this gun should be worth??

#2 ·
Hi Hfyky,
On your Model 1901 Army contract revolver, it depends on if your Model 1901 is from one of the original Model 1901 contracts or if it is one of the Model 1892, Model 1894, or Model 1896 Army contract guns that was reworked and brought up to Model 1901 specifications by both the Army arsenals and the Colt factory. Also, it would depend on wether your gun was one of the 19000+ DA Army contract revolvers that was refurbished for WW I at the Remington plant in 1918... These guns have an intersting history and were reworked many times... some of the reworked models have excellent Army reworked finishes and while very nice to look at, are not the original Colt finish.

You gun could be worth anywhere between $250 and $800 depending on just what model of 1901 you have...
If you can list the full serial number on the butt and the various inspection/proof markings under the barrel on the face of the cylinder, on the left side of the revolver and exactly what the butt markings are, I can give you a better idea of value... The Colt Model 1889 and Model 1892 series revolvers are my primary collecting interest. They are a very interesting gun with lots of variations! Bob Best

#3 ·
Sorry for the lack of detail....the serial number if I remeber correctly is in the 176,xxx range. The left side is marked with "RAC" just above the grips and right near above the cylider latch it was marked "J.T.T." The bottom of both wood grips panels is marked RAC as well as the rear of the cylinder. Under the barrel is a P as well as a K. The gun appears to have a nice bright carbonia type blue to it and the hammer, trigger and small screws have nice bright fire blue finish. I hope this is enough for you to give a better evaluation

#4 ·
Hi Hfyky,
It sounds like your Model 1901 is an orginal contract Model 1901. Your gun was accepted by JTT, which is John T. Thompson (who designed the Thompson SMG). Ranaldo A. Carr (RAC) insected the components...
There should be a "1902" on the left frame just above the rear triggerguard web. Assuming there is NO "LEB" initials on the left side near the wooden grip. The FULL SERIAL NUMBER appears on the butt of the gun, and you can read the "No." above it, and there is only a single RAC on the rear face of the cylinder, with no additonal large "C", you should have an original contract gun. If this is true, you gun should be worth on the high end of my estimate. Without actually seeing it I can't tell you any closer. Hope that helps.... Bob Best

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.