Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, new to the forum, i have come across an 1892 colt da 38 civilian, needing some additional information. From everything i have found, i believe this at some point went back to Colt for grip changes, and possible re-blue. Looking at the frame, looks like early 1894 prior to them adding the trigger / lock in the frame, but the barrel is showing the new rollmark for the 1895 patent, which should include the screw lock in the frame. Also, i know in 1905 USMC had rounded grip, but didn't know if civilian models may have been custom made in 1894. This is a really nice, and 98+ blueing, with barrel perfect and shiny. This gun hasn't been shot at all, except maybe test fired. Any additional information you may have would be appreciated. Didn't know if this indeed could be a transitional 1892 made from Jan-Apr 1894?? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
hi, new to the forum, i have come across an 1892 colt da 38 civilian, needing some additional information. From everything i have found, i believe this at some point went back to Colt for grip changes, and possible re-blue. Looking at the frame, looks like early 1894 prior to them adding the trigger / lock in the frame, but the barrel is showing the new rollmark for the 1895 patent, which should include the screw lock in the frame. Also, i know in 1905 USMC had rounded grip, but didn't know if civilian models may have been custom made in 1894. This is a really nice, and 98+ blueing, with barrel perfect and shiny. This gun hasn't been shot at all, except maybe test fired. Any additional information you may have would be appreciated. Didn't know if this indeed could be a transitional 1892 made from Jan-Apr 1894?? Thanks.
Hi,

Your Gun is interesting, but the serial number is wrong for that type of grip frame. Also the finish is off a bit. I would guess it is something redone after production ceased in 1908. Colt did not make any grip styles like that during the New Army Model of 1892 production run. The serial number would be in the range for a Model 1892 transitional gun but again the grip style is wrong. It is also out of range for a civilian production Model 1905. I note it does have the rework star but again the work on the gun appears later than the era for that style rework marking, so I doubt that it was done by the Colt factory ... probably done by a gunsmith in later years would be my guess. It is an interesting piece and appears that it would make a good shooter however in my opinion it probably was not done by Colt. Knowing what can be found in the shipping ledgers from doing research there I doubt very seriously if you could find a record documenting it's current configuration... Thanks for posting it though I enjoyed seeing it! Hope that helps! Bob Best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. A letter was requested, and Colt came back saying they verify the manufacture date as 1894, but had no shipping information on the gun for serial number 11389. I think the gun is unique, and was wondering when the grip changes were made. Thinking these might be Roper grips, not sure. On back of grips, they are numbered to the gun, along with the crane number of 605. If re-blued in 40's, could a non-factory blue job get mirror like results, along with the nitre blue on the screws, trigger, and hammer? Just trying to learn about timelines of finish vs timelines of grips.... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
... If re-blued in 40's, could a non-factory blue job get mirror like results, along with the nitre blue on the screws, trigger, and hammer? Just trying to learn about timelines of finish vs timelines of grips.... Thanks.
Sure they could.... there are peopling doing that kind of work today... I have seen some pretty convincing fakes put together by in my years of collecting these guns... Hope that helps! Bob Best

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Really nice looking refinish. Whoever did the work really knew what they were doing. I wonder if it went back to Colt for some other rework when it got the star on the triggerguard. Then later on someone refinished it.
Is it possible this was done at Turnbulls shop? It looks like that kind of quality. If so they would have a record of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Not sure about Turnbulls, unless they have been around for 60+ years or so. The family who had this before me has kept it in the family for about 60 years, and my understanding is they never shot it. Not sure if a family member left it to them, or where they got it. Anyway, it seems very old, and inside the barrel no indication of wear, rust, corrosion, or anything. Just a very bright, clean, excellent rifling barrel. It is very pretty to look at, only, since I won't be shooting it either; just too nice for an 1892 Colt born in 1894. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The finish is not inconsistent with ( or is consistent with ) a very long ago Colt Factory re-finish.

This Revolver may well have been sent back into Colt in 1912 or something, and, acquired the details, Barrel and overall appearance and Stocks, which we see it to have on it now.

It is stunning! and totally atypical of the vast majority of 'aftermarket' work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Totally agree with re-work. Just didn't know if Colt (because of star on back of trigger guard) would have been the ones that cut down the grips, and re-blued? Either way, whoever did the work, it is very clean, very old, and the pistol itself must have been in fairly good condition prior to the 'aftermarket' work, i would think, without any rust or initial wear. With the grips, any idea on date of re-work (teens, twenty's, later, etc?). Just trying to get an idea of timeframe of modification. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I would suggest that anyone interested in these should ppurchase a copy of Mr Best's fine book. It is one of the best, most detailed books written about a particular firearm in a long time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts