Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given one of these in 32-20 and need to see if any one can tell me about how tight the lock-up is on the weapon. I have no experience on this old of a model and need as much info as I can get.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Congratulations on the gift, cs1.

The 32-20 in my safe is a 1907-production gun and is in what I'd call very good to excellent condition (probably 95% plus blue, reasonable bore). With trigger held back firmly there is a small amount of play in the cylinder (+/- 1/32" rotational play) with no endshake that I can detect.

This seems to be pretty typical of the majority of the more heavily used of the thirty or so left-wheelers in my collection regardless of caliber; the less used guns are somewhat tighter than this.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Agree with zulu on the lock up. And keep in mind that they never had the "tight as a bank vault" lock up,when trigger is pulled as the "newer action" NON left wheeling Colts.

I have a similar 32/20 transition model as zulu and a slightly earlier First Model Officers,in .38 Special. With mild handloads,both are excellent shooters.

But that old,complicated action needed "replacing" and it began on the New Service and New Police models,the large and small frames,before moving to the middle,or E frames in 1908ish. An experienced and elderly collector told me that as long as the military was buying the New Army and New Navy,and replacement parts,Colt delayed the change on the mid frame.

Bud

1 - 3 of 3 Posts