Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I am so happy I found this forum. I know I am coming to the right place for some information on a new revolver I was given as an heirloom. I consider myself to be knowledgeable about guns however I know very little about these amazing revolvers. Can anyone tell me more about this model? I have attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Welcome,
Looks like it may be a flat top target SAA made in 1894. If it's correct it's quite desirable. The BOCF list only 39 of 925 made in .38 S&W. In most cases the frame would have been full blue with a CCH hammer. More images please including the front and rear sights and the barrel markings.

·
Premium Member
18,994 Posts
That is quite a rare flat top target SAA. As Rick has already posted, not many Flat Top Target SAA's were manufactured (925) and only 39 were in .38 S&W.
The condition of the one you pictured shows that it was neglected for quite a long time which resulted in some corrosion and lose of finish, but the good news is it does not appear to have been damaged by 'ham-handed' amateur gunsmiths.
It is hard to even estimate a value, but it is certainly worth several thousand dollars.
Hopefully, some more of our members can be helpful with their postings. I will certainly follow this Thread to help educate myself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cylinder spins freely but I have noticed the rod spins with the cylinder. I am thinking it is stuck. I could remove the rod from the rear , i just don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
A real collector's item, but I would be afraid to guess a value. With the cylinder (base) pin spinning with the cylinder, I would soak it with a good penetrating oil, such as Kroil, and wait. As a last resort, you can remove the hammer and drive the pin out from the back.
Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, Thanks for the images. Now see if you can change the title of your thread to "1894 Flat Top SAA .38 S&W" and post a close up of the roll mark on the top of the barrel.
Thank you for your help! I certainly appreciate it! Thank you for the warm welcome as well.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Looks like the last time it was shot the BP wasn't cleaned up. Hate to see inside the bore and cylinders.

That said it is still a high dollar gun. (over three thousand easily and may be double or triple that?!!)

Best thing you can do to preserve the value is oil it up and leave it alone. Do not attempt to clean or fix anything on the gun. Leave it as is. Then you'll want to get a letter from Colt Archives for it.

Thanks for showing it to us!

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum !!

Enjoy Our Community...

And Congrats on a fine specimen of historical significance...a Colt Letter will just add to the provenance and value... to both you and your heirs down the road.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
What a grand entrance to this forum. I love that It’s .38 S&W. I’ll go check my books in a minute, but are there, or were there two types of .38 S&W? I seem to recall maybe a heeled bullet early on that changed to the .38 S&W we’re familiar With today. Or am I getting it mixed up with .41 Colt?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the COLT Forum !!

Enjoy Our Community...

And Congrats on a fine specimen of historical significance...a Colt Letter will just add to the provenance and value... to both you and your heirs down the road.

Thank you! I will be reaching out to Colt and keep you all in the loop of the findings. Any idea what turn around times are for those?

·
Registered
6,331 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Congrats on a great gun! Looks to be all original except brass site blade but IMO, that's no big deal. It'll be interesting to see what the Colt letter says about destination. Pull the grips to check if there is a small hole for a locating pin as this serial range would normally be shipped with two piece hard rubber grips. The one piece walnuts DO look original.
I know of a 32 S&W Flat Top with no finish but a bit better condition for sale for 12K. Too high in my opinion but i would value your gun at $7500+.
Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed looking over your interesting gun!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The cylinder spins freely but I have noticed the rod spins with the cylinder. I am thinking it is stuck. I could remove the rod from the rear , i just don't want to mess anything up.
In one of your pictures, I may have noticed something about the chambers. A 38 S&W has a bullet dia of 0.361", a neck dia of 0.385", and a case length of 0.775". The 38 Special has a bullet dia of 0.357", a neck dia of 0.379", and a case length of 1.155". Will a 38 Special go all the way into these chambers?

1 - 20 of 175 Posts