Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks: Bumped into a 1898 SAA that had been refinished, ugh. Actually done in chrome with staghorn grips. Cylinder is fairly tight, and very little end shake. I am fairly sure this gun could be fired safely, although I would never try it. My delemma is that even as goofy as the gun seems to be, it still is a first edition 1898 Colt SAA. They want $950 for it, and one of the guys in the shop said because of the whining over the refinishing the average customer puts forth, the guy might go as low as $750 for it. I am tempted to buy it even if its just used as a paperweight on my desk. What do you think??? Bobba

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You haven't stated the bore condition,and if the barrel & cylinder appear to be original. Many were replaced,as Colt continued to supply replacement bbls. and cylinders in the popular calibers when the SAA was in production hiatus(1940-1956). Gun sounds like it would be right up the alley for a "cowboy action shooter",who wanted a "gussied up",but genuine Colt SAA. The 1898 production date puts it right "on the bubble" for smokeless loads,but with the rise of cowboy action shooting,there are plenty of "safe loadings" now. IMO,its an expensive "paper weight",and while I deplore the prices now charged for "clones",one of those would be a better shooter,but if you want a piece of "Americana",this gun would be better,but at the $750 price(or lower). I know the $900 seems low for a genuine 1st gen. SAA,but it is far from original,and in the eyes of many,has been ruined by the chrome plating,or "bumper job". Check that barrel & cylinder. Good Luck! Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
You could always restore the gun, send it to Fords Custom Gun Refinishing and they could strip the chrome and restore the roll marks and logo, re-polish and re-blue the barrel, cylinder and back strap and then either torch color the frame or send it out to be recase hardened to bring it back to acceptable shape. It could also be nickel plated to make it historically acceptable, that is if you want to sink another $350 or more into it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the suggestions especially the one about maybe not the same barrel or cylinder. It looks like they are original. Bore looks like hell, and cylinder sems just Ok. It isn't going anywhere, so I'll go by and give it a closer look. Pull the cylinder out, etc. My son and I have quite a few varied pistols, mostly revolvers from the 60's, 70's, and 80's when the gun makers were paying attention to business, and creating arms of quality, and lasting beauty. Again if I buy this SSA it will probably be a curio, and not a shooter. I'll keep you posted. Again thanks for the kind replys. Bobba

1 - 4 of 4 Posts