Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This 19 year old ex-cheerleader now an Air Force Security Forces Sniper, was watching a road in Pakistan that led to a NATO military base when she observed a man digging by the road. She engaged the target (she shot him).
It turned out he was a bomb maker for the Taliban, and he was burying an IED that was to be detonated when a U.S. patrol walked by 30 minutes later. It would have certainly killed and wounded several soldiers.
The interesting fact of this story is the shot was measured at 725 yards. She shot him as he was bent over burying the bomb. The shot went through his rectum and into the bomb which detonated; he was blown to pieces. The Air Force made a motivational poster of her. (Folks, that's a shot 25 yards longer than seven football fields) and the last thing that came out of his mouth ... was his ass!
If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quite amazing. Thanks for sharing this. And thanks to all of our hero’s in the armed forces. All gave some and some gave all. 🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I shot with this young lady in highpower matches in New York. She comes from a great family of patriots and she and her siblings were very active in the shooting sports as well as being excellent all around athletes. Fine young men and women, definitely gives you some hope for the future of this country.

·
Premium Member
20,445 Posts
I shot with this young lady in highpower matches in New York. She comes from a great family of patriots and she and her siblings were very active in the shooting sports as well as being excellent all around athletes. Fine young men and women, definitely gives you some hope for the future of this country.

What part of NY State was she from?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,542 Posts
Contrary to popular thought (hope) by the media, with families like this still going strong, America ain't finished yet.

People are surprised that the Air Force has or needs snipers.
They have them to protect deployed Air Force operations and to guard nuke sites.

My buddy once attended a weekend shooting class in Arkansas where the founder of the Air Force sniping program now runs a civilian shooting school.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The story is new to me and a good one thanks1 anyone have a link to the motivational poster?

My niece is a AF Combat vet deployed three times to the sandbox, went on convoys, was near the battle of Fallujah, was around "Chemical Ali's" compounds etc. She is the only person in our recent family that has combat experience- her husband, her father, and me all were in the service but never in a combat situation. Her Grandpa was a Philippine Scout- she got her mind set from him.

I worked with a lot of AF women as a civilian- who had deployed and got hurt, one I remember was with the *Army as a * 'Clerk" believe it or not- they had to withdraw and she got hurt beating feat to cover- the strange thing is her job would make you think she would never get in the chit but she did. "Here is your rifle get in the truck" Was heard by a lot of people who never thought they would.

USAF security forces are the sheep dogs of the Airforce.

God bless them and our Women service people..

All of our service people!

*Electronic info management

*82 Airborne iirc,

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
The Russians used quite a few women snipers in WWII. They sent many
Nazis to the great beyond. I know a number a excellent women shooters.
Never underestimate a gal in that job. They are deadly!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
There is another aspect to this that was brought to my attention by a man named Ray Carney. Ray is an old Special Forces soldier and he was the director of the New York State Highpower Rifle program in the mid ‘90’s and early 2000’s. Under his leadership the NY rifle program rose to prominence and produced multiple national team championships and individual champions.
His theory was that the future of the shooting sports depends upon getting women involved and participating. Not only does this raise the numbers now but the young women of today will become the mothers of tomorrow and if they have a positive view of the shooting sports then they will be more likely to support their children’s participation in future generations. Wise words indeed.
I took this idea to heart and in later years I was a rifle marksmanship instructor and range officer at a local club. We would routinely host youth groups (Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc) for basic marksmanship training using .22 rimfire rifles. At these events you could always sense a bit of trepidation in the moms. To break the ice we would have a competition between the parents and the kids using the falling plate racks. This event was always a big hit and by the end we could hardly get them off the range. I would use that opportunity to reinforce the positive aspects of marksmanship events and it certainly went a long way towards changing the opinions and attitudes of the parents, especially the moms.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
As another forum member says, it's a good story. But that's what a lot of it is...just a story. For one thing, Polly-Jan Bobseine was home-schooled, so she wasn't an ex-cheerleader. The OP says this incident happened in Pakistan. Another story has it happening in Afghanistan. She wasn't stationed in either of those places...she was in Iraq. And although it does make a great story, there is no record of Senior Airman Bobseine ever making that shot. There are no factual accounts of it ever happening, and the Air Force isn't talking. You can find variations of this same story all over the Internet.

Yeah, she's a real person, and she was really on the Security Forces Squadron fire team with the U.S. Air Force. She was highly decorated...some decorations include the Air Force Achievement Medal with two Oak Leaf clusters, Meritorious Unit Award, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Rifle and Pistol.)

The photo of her posing with an M-24 rifle was used by the USAF for "motivational purposes", but again there was no mention of any 725-yard shot. The photo used is the one shown here, and the USAF caption read, "Senior Airman Polly-Jan Bobseine, 823rd Security Forces Squadron fire team member, takes aim behind a M-24 Sniper Rifle to hone her close precision engagement skills during proficiency weapons training at a deployed location. Airman Bobseine was chosen out of more than 270,000 enlisted Airmen as one of the Air Force’s 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year." The photograph is still widely viewed online and gets a lot of comments about the pearl earrings and lip gloss. The photo's been made into several memes, of course.

Other than her military decorations, the USAF didn't publicize any of Bobseine's accomplishments in the field. Most branches of the military don't...some things aren't meant for public consumption, unless it involves the Congressional Medal of Honor. She should be about 38-years-old now. There's another photo of her below showing her in her USAF dress blues. I read one source that says she pursued a career in criminal justice, but that was from around 2008-2009 I think. A really detailed search would probably turn up her present whereabouts and what she's been doing all these years.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Anyone have a link to the motivational poster?
Here is the photograph used. It really wasn't a motivational poster. It was used to tell about Airman Bobseine's being chosen as one of twelve airmen named as an Outstanding Airman of the Year in 2005. If you want to read the Air Combat Command's article on this, click here. It gives the facts about Airman Bobseine.

There's another photograph from the Air Combat Command It shows her in Iraq in 2005. The caption reads:

MOODY AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. - Senior Airman Polly-Jan Bobseine, 823rd Security Forces Squadron, is seen here with a friend she made while on patrol in villages around Kirkuk Air Base, Iraq. She recently won Air Combat Command’s Airman of the Year award.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you are interested in Military Female Shooters, google : Vanessa Dobos. First Female Aerial Door Gunner, Helicopter. Even if the caption says C-130, it is wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.