Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If interested look at Morphy Auctions from their Saturday, Jan. 11 auction for prices realized from an amazing collection. I put 20 plus bids in for over 10 times the cost of my first house and didn't win a single one. A quarter million doesn't buy much these days.

Examples at www.morphyauctions.com Lot #120 1900 USN $16,200. Lot #122 1900 US $20,400. Lot #132 1905 with shoulder stock $20,400. Lot #135 1907 trial $20,400. Lot #146 1909 45 serial #11 $96,000. Lot 147 1910 38 serial #1 $90,000 and a lowly Savage 45 trial pistol for only $10,800.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had my heart set on a 1905 in that auction, but it started $5,000 over my self-imposed limit:mad::bang_wall:, and kept going up from there. Sad! Coulda cried.

·
Registered
879 Posts
crazy prices for deep pocketed collectors that probably don't know what it is except its a colt and its old and someone told them to buy it. However I would love to be one of those deep pocketed collectors :)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ping 10 may be right about the uninformed deep pocket collectors; however, there are also many knowledgeable collectors who desire rarer and/or finer upgrades for their collection. Although I have in my possession many early Colt autos, the rare and fine ones are my most coveted. Wish I had started earlier with these and let the more common alone. I am considering one or two displays at the next Oct. 2014 Colt Collector's Assoc. show in Concord, NC. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Big, promoted auctions are the most expensive place to buy antiques. Typically many, many times more expensive than what I pay in other venues, in the antique areas I follow. Know how people at flea markets with overpriced items always say, "they go for that much on Ebay"? It's even worse with gun auctions. Every gun shop and gun owner tries to raise their prices when there is an outrageous sale price.

Last month a friend asked me to value his desirable antique camera lens. It's from a good maker, say the "colt" of lenses. He'd tried to sell another rare, antique lens previously, too high, and had to lower the price many times. Buyers got suspicious, and he barely made the low average on that one, after months of work. Everyone was quoting him the couple of super high prices over the years, but ignoring the dozens of normal priced sales. I told him, "throw out the 2 highest, and 2 lowest sold prices (we keep a multiyear list), and take the average." The average was $1702. He put it on ebay, it sold in a week for $1700. Moral? Ignore the highest prices.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,931 Posts
Ping 10 may be right about the uninformed deep pocket collectors; however, there are also many knowledgeable collectors who desire rarer and/or finer upgrades for their collection. Although I have in my possession many early Colt autos, the rare and fine ones are my most coveted. Wish I had started earlier with these and let the more common alone. I am considering one or two displays at the next Oct. 2014 Colt Collector's Assoc. show in Concord, NC. Hope to see you there.
May I ask what guns you will be displaying?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.