Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1901 SAA that has a later replacement barrel, cylinder and hammer. These are the most obvious, and I'm not sure about internal parts. My question is whether it would be worth it to restore this pistol with 1st gen. parts or is the damage done as far as collectabilty is concerned. I'm sure the value has been greatly compromised in it's current state but I'd like to know what the experts think.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hi Sickstring;

I see this is your first post. Not too shabby to post about Single Action Army the first time out.

I wouldn't make the effort to restore the revolver unless I chose to do it for the enjoyment of hunting down proper vintage parts of original chambering, and barrel length. I don't think you'd add any value to speak of. In the future, who knows. If it is a good shooter I'd spend more on ammo and enjoy it. If it is really tacky due to these component swaps it might be a candidate for a remake into anything you like. My old .38 WCF Colt SAA is an honest 20%/patina gun that is still tight. I would take a dim view of someone restoring the finish on a gun as worn as mine is. You are in the enviable position of having an SAA that has endless possibilities for personalization. I would obtain a factory letter before undertaking any work on a mongrel SAA. There always could be a reason for the changes and you can learn how it originally left the factory.

My very first SAA was a worn, pitted chromed-over-the-pits, 1895 vintage 5 1/2-inch .44 WCF with cheap white plastic steer-head grips. I gave $250 for it in 1981. It was a barking dog but I had a Single Action. I had visions of restoration of finish and maybe recutting the markings. That kind of work would have cost more than the gun was worth at the time. Sent off for a Colt letter. Marty Huber sent back a nice letter stating that my gun left the factory as a blue 4 5/8-inch .45 Colt. That didn't set well with me so I sold it. Put a little money with the proceeds and purchased my present SAA.

I'd like to see a photo or two of your revolver as is. It still would generate interest where ever it was shown. What cartridge does it chamber?

Welcome to the Forum. It'd be fun to hear about your gun again when you determine what you decide to do.

Bryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your response and kind welcome. I will take some shots of my Colt and try to get 'em up here soon. I'd love to see some opinions of it.

Scott

·
Registered
946 Posts
I enjoyed your pictures. I have a 1906 that originaly was 44/40 4 3/4. It was shipped to copper queen mine in bisbee arizona. Somebody, I belive old gun writer tommy bish and king gun works years ago put on a new 7 1/2 .44 spec barrel and clyinder, reblued it and cased it pretyer then colt! I am in your exact same predickerment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts