Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a .45 LC approx. 1902 production, with original finish, grips in excellent shape, 6"brl.

Does this gun look authentic? Approximate value?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Maybe its just the photo(s),but I can't see a large "U.S." that should be stamped on right side of frame above the trigger guard, There also should be "RAC"(Rinaldo A Carr) inpector marks. Some Alaskans also had 1902 stamped on them.

The biggest difference is that Alaskans had SIX inch bbls. not the standard 5 1/2" offerings.

Could be an old refinish,and Govt. marks removed,an "overun"??,or a fake. Barrel length is easiest indicator,IMO.

Most Govt. guns had wood stocks,but some had the hard rubber as pictured.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bud, thanks for the quick response.

There's a photo of this gun in the BOCFA on page 332. The inspector mark on this gun is J.T.T. There's other markings shown as you suggest.

I also do not see any markings on this gun. Would it be possible for a gun to go out the door with no markings?

What serial number range should this gun be within?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salter recently sold this gun. Does anyone know what his asking price was? Note the serial number slip. Advertised as s/n 49083 but is actually 44083.

1902 Alaskan sold by Salter

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The biggest difference is that Alaskans had SIX inch bbls. not the standard 5 1/2" offerings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. BOCFA page 332 shows this gun with a 5 1/2" barrel. Is the book in error? Salter's gun had a 6" barrel.
Note the error on the inspector stamping. JTT vs. JJT. Also note the "1902" stamping on the lower corner of the right side frame.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Addicted,
In this case the BOCFA is in error. The photo on page 332 is mis captioned. The Inspectors acceptance marking is "J.T.T." which is Captain John T. Thompson's initials (Same person as the designer of that Tommy gun you saw at Louisville)Not "J.J.T." as stated in the BOCFA. Also the correct barrel length is 6 inches Not 5 1/2 inches.

The Model 1902 was ordered for the Philippine Constabulary in 1901. 5000 guns were ordered in .45 Colt caliber . Serial numbers generally range between 43471 and 48221 with a few falling into the low 50xxx serial number range.

Most of the guns went to the civilian market in later years and were refinished and reworked many times. A number of them went to the Western Costume Company and were used in western movies during the 30's and 40's... many had barrels changed out as the barrel is the same as used in the Single Action revolvers and a number of SAAs were "restored" to 45 Colt this way.

There is lot of material available on these guns. I have National Archive material on the ordering and ordnance inspection of them and their use by the PC during the insurrection... The hardest thing to find is the correct military holster and belt for them ... a very rare item! If you have any specific questions let me know I may have the answer for you... Hope that Helps! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bob for the response.

I was notified today that the gun has sold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts