Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inherited a 1902 Peacemaker from my mother's brother. Very fine condition, except for holster wear on the muzzle and cylinder. It has wooden grips, no markings external or internal. I am suspicious of these grips as the screw protrudes out the other side sufficiently to leave a mark on the palm of my hand.

Any suggestions on replacement grips or how I might determine if these grips are original?

What would the appropriate grips be for a Peacemaker of this vintage?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

I am especially pleased to find this forum, I love Colts.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you could post a picture it sure would help, but it could be you just need the proper grip screw if the grips are right for the gun.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
TarHeel-Do NOT get the grips with the Eagle. Colt changed to the plain Gutta Percha stocks in 1896,and these were used to the end of 1st Generation production in 1940. I have a 1901 4 3/4" 38/40 with the correct factory grips. I also checked this info in Keith Cochrans books. The trouble with putting "replacement" grips on old guns,that unless the gun is nearly new looking,the grips will stand out. Sorta like puttin expensive,showy tires on a car with 100,000+ miles. The grips screw & escutheons could be messed up on your present grips. Good Luck. Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
While certainly no SAA expert, I BELIEVE the appropriate grips for that era were the hard rubber "gutta percha" grips with molded-in checkering and the Eagle.

A protruding screw is not an indication of replacement grips, since over the years grips tend to loosen and re-tightening the screw will eventually cause it to protrude.

Finding ORIGINAL Colt grips will be tough. You might watch Ebay, since they do turn up there occasionally.

For a modern replacement, any good walnut grip should do, but Gun Parts Corporation sells modern replicas of the old hard rubber grips. http://www.e-gunparts.com

While NOT original, they look good and usually have enough material to allow proper fitting to the trigger guard and backstrap.

In fact, anything from a replica Colt grip, to walnut, to ivory will look "right" as long as the grip does't look too new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts