Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
The barrel has been 'cut down' but it is not even a 1st gen barrel. The Colt Address on top of the barrel looks like that seen on a 3rd gen barrel. If that is the case, the barrel must have been 'cross-threaded' to get it into the frame. The 3rd gen barrels have 24 threads per inch versus 20 threads per inch for the 1st gen frame.
The ivory grips are a distinct plus (apx. $700) to a made up SAA that is probably worth (without grips) about $1000 to $1250.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Yep, a 4 3/4" 3rd gen barrel not cut down.

Not cross threaded; the 3rd gen 24 TPI barrels can be "over threaded" to 20 TPI for use in 1st and 2nd gen frames.

Cyl is not a 1st gen either. Could be 2nd gen if there's a rampant colt stamped on rear face. If not, it's a 3rd gen cyl.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That is a hard one to fix a value to because of the "upgrades". This gun is really neat. Not as a collector but as eye candy and a shooter. If I had to guess, I would say $1500-$2500 range.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, its a nice looking shooter. i would agree with above opinions. 1100-$1200 without grips. unless the frame threads are messed up vs brl threads? I did buy a 4 3/4 barrel, not cut down from a fellow that i at first look thought was 3rd gen roll markings, proud and deep. looks like yours in photo. nope it was a 20 TPI and was not a over cut. must have been a late 2nd gen is all i can think. Or it was bought as a replacement part..? Its on a Bisley now. may be yours a better sell w/o grips? grips alone, someone with a matching all original first gen collector gun would snag those id think. my 2 cents. Phil

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
It sure is a nice looking Colt. Being a plumber for 40 years I would definitely be concerned about a cross thread between the frame and barrel no matter how fine the thread. Sure is a nice looking Colt (I think I already said that).

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The more I look at the shooter grade gun in question, the better I like it. I think I'd pay $1500 for it. I'd also try to buy the Ivories separately if I could.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I once listed a first gen SAA on Gunbroker. It was an antiqe with a screw told the cylinder pin in. I listed the gun as Junk Colt Single Action. My description read as follows, This gun has been buffed to within an inch of its life and the chrome plated. If that's not bad enough the barrel is a 44 caliber and the cylinder a 45. The gun was beyond help as it buffed too far to ever bring back. It sold for 1050.00. By that standard this is at least a 1500 to 2000 dollar gun.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If that is the same gun listed on our state gun board, the seller is asking 2500. They also claim the barrel was redone by the factory. I am more interested in what you all think of this 1901 that they are asking 1900........I have asked for pictures on this one to help get a better sense of condition.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If that is the same gun listed on our state gun board, the seller is asking 2500. They also claim the barrel was redone by the factory. I am more interested in what you all think of this 1901 that they are asking 1900........I have asked for pictures on this one to help get a better sense of condition.
Looks like a newer trigger and hammer. Might have some newer parts inside. $1900 is OK if it is a 45, locks up well and the barrel is not shot out. $1500 would be better. :p

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Looks like a newer trigger and hammer. Might have some newer parts inside. $1900 is OK if it is a 45, locks up well and the barrel is not shot out. $1500 would be better. :p
Thanks. I have asked about caliber since the picture is poor quality and you really can’t see any markings. Along with asking about the barrel I have asked about crispness of action, click, click, click......click. And matching numbers. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It looks like a mostly original gun which is getting harder to find every day. The condition of the action is a big deal as repairs could run a few hundred dollars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts