Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very recent to the Colt stable here. Just picked up a 1903 and 1908 in the last couple of months. Fell in love with them after watching Forgotten Weapons on YouTube and seeing Ian's video on the development of the 1911. I had never seen a pocket hammerless before, and I think I actually paused the video to marvel in their beauty of form and simplicity of function....anyway, I digress.

I thought it best to replace the springs and barrels of both pistols (They are 1921 and 1922 vintage) as they are both shooters. Thanks to U. S. Armament Corp producing new 1903s under license from Colt, they sell a spring kit that includes the recoil, hammer, extractor, main, and trigger/sear/mag release springs. I bought the kit and a new stainless barrel (also from USAC) and had my local gunsmith install them. I have read other posts on here from years back that agreed that the recoil springs were indeed the same between the two. I just want to verify that the rest of the springs would also be the same.

Wolff spring kits do not include the main and trigger/sear/mag release springs (but the kits they do have are listed as covering both models), and the full kits from USAC are only listed as covering the 1903. I suspect that is just because those are the only ones they are producing (at the moment, hopefully). My initial assumption is that there is no reason to think the other springs would be different, and the USAC full kit would work in both guns. Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Can't help on the USAC issue but was shooting one of my 1903s today and it was a sheer joy. Two boxes of ammo and not a single problem. This one is a 1919 and so a Centenarian.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, here you guys go. 1903 .32 .jpg 1903 .32 Serial Number .jpg 1903 (1908) .380.jpg 1903 (1908) .380 Serial Number .jpg

They're both pretty much the same, actually made about a year and a half apart, as far as I can surmise.

The 1903 has had all the springs replaced and a new stainless barrel put in, and I have 2 new magazines along with the one original, which is in perfectly serviceable shape.

I'm waiting on a barrel and spring kit for the .380, and 2 Triple K magazines. The original mag for the .380 is also usable.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Well now......I would appear that you have become transfixed on the intrinsic beauty and elegant exterior features of the model M.......
This is a good thing.
Get on over to 'Got Hammerless?' and see what a magnificent thing the Colt Hammerless Pocket Pistol really is.
Truth be known, nearly everyone who is fond of the model M was impressed in much the same way as you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts