Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a Colt 1903 .32 that I can buy. However, it has the metal checkering on the front strap up around the front of the trigger guard, and on the safety plate at the rear of the pistol.
Was this an after market application or original?
Also, what would be a good price ?
(sorry, pictures aren't unavailable right now)

Thanks,
B50

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Not original. Value is impossible to determine without pictures, but it's only value would be as a shooter, not a collector. I have purchased a few 1903's lately and in original configuration the prices have been between 350 and 700. If it is marked as US Property it will bring substantially more, but i doubt that would be the case if it was altered as the one you describe.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
It was most probably an after market modification.

However, checkered grip safties, checkered front straps, and even lanyard rings could be ordered from Colts on a custom basis.
Pictures would have helped us to determine if at least the checkering resembles factory checkering of the era. You are asking us to give an opinion while we are "flying blind", so to speak.

Good luck with the pistol :)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
It was most probably an after market modification.

However, checkered grip safties, checkered front straps, and even lanyard rings could be ordered from Colts on a custom basis.
Pictures would have helped us to determine if at least the checkering resembles factory checkering of the era. You are asking us to give an opinion while we are "flying blind", so to speak.

Good luck with the pistol :)
you're correct, although I have not personally seen them, I have heard that they had "options" but the kicker for me was the trigger guard. I haven never heard of such a thing on those models BUT you are correct, anything could be possible. I apologize if I talked out of turn

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I apologize if I talked out of turn
Nonsense!!! :D
I re-read your post and you proffered good advice and info. I merely added the caveat that the factory would make many custom modifications for a price. R.L. Wilson said that the modifications I listed were very rare on Mod M pistols, especially a lanyard ring.

I hope you continue to post when the mood strikes you. Nobody here should feel self conscious about speaking up, or looking at how long another has been a member or how high their post count is. We have a great atmosphere here. It's the forum I check every A.M. when I get up, and frequently each day. It's like a home away from home.
So stick around :)

* I agree with you that the notion of checkering the front of the trigger guard is probably not one from the heyday Mod M but anything is possible.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
One would like to see the manner of Checking/Checkering the Grip Safety and Front of the Trigger Guard have.

Colt tended to have their version or style, within a Boarder back then.

Not that someone else could not have emulated that style, but...I'd be interested to see what style these are.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Thanks Malysh. I will just be a little more careful with my choice of words next time. I do not ant to give someone bad advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.