Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for information on a 1903 Colt General Officers Pistol in 32 ACP Serial #568438, parkerized with blued magazine. A very good friend called and advised that his neighbor had a "firearm tragedy" Due to this horrible event he decided to have his one and only handgun destroyed. Since it said "US Property" on the side my friend asked his neighbor to hold off as the handgun may have historical value. I met and purchased the 1903 General Officers Pistol. It belonged to General Schlatter. My research shows he was not made a General until the 1960's and found a pic of LBJ pinning on his star. Further research advised he won a Bronze Star as a Major in the Philipines in WWII. My question is how can I find if this pistol was issued to someone else first and then re-issued? I would like the history so it can remain with the pistol. I see it as a historical item to ber preserved and passed to the next generation.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I am looking for information on a 1903 Colt General Officers Pistol in 32 ACP Serial #568438, parkerized with blued magazine. A very good friend called and advised that his neighbor had a "firearm tragedy" Due to this horrible event he decided to have his one and only handgun destroyed. Since it said "US Property" on the side my friend asked his neighbor to hold off as the handgun may have historical value. I met and purchased the 1903 General Officers Pistol. It belonged to General Schlatter. My research shows he was not made a General until the 1960's and found a pic of LBJ pinning on his star. Further research advised he won a Bronze Star as a Major in the Philipines in WWII. My question is how can I find if this pistol was issued to someone else first and then re-issued? I would like the history so it can remain with the pistol. I see it as a historical item to ber preserved and passed to the next generation.

Brunner's "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols II" only lists Colt 1903 s/n 568438 as being issued to BG N. F. Schlatter in 1965.

I've emailed Rock Island Arsenal and will post any additional information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You. It seemed strange it was made in the 40's but not ever issued until 1965 but I am sure you are correct. Thank You. Is there away to get a letter of authenticity?

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
It may have been put into service, later turned in, refinished if needed, and then reissued as a G.O. pistol. All did not originally go to a G.O.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You Robert. Yes I was fortunate to get the call on this one. Military Colts or military in general is not the theme of my collection but I hate to see our heritage and history destroyed TOO MUCH OF THAT HAPPENING.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are right Ronald. Looks like an oversight in L.C.'s description of Stilwell's 1903. Glad they posted the documents associated with his pistol which sets things straight. Sorry to have seen that one go but you can't keep them all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just looked at the Gunsinternational link.The Stillwell mentioned in the ad was Jumping Joe not Vinegar Joe.The info is correct just the wrong Stillwell.He was a rather unusual General.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gentlemen,
Thanks so much for the information! Robert if this pistol fits your collection I am not married to it. I am just glad to have been in the right place and time to save it from the blow torch.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Thank You. It seemed strange it was made in the 40's but not ever issued until 1965 but I am sure you are correct. Thank You. Is there away to get a letter of authenticity?
Regarding Colt 1903 s/n 568438 issued to BG Schlatter, no other documents of it being issued to other GOs were found at the RIA Museum.

BG Schlatter 568438.png

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something to think about... Contact the states’ NG HQ (STARC) -Adjagent General office... tell their secretary that you are researching a G.O. pistol (M15) and if they knew who who has the historical records..
In California, the STARC HQ supply and Admin office kept those records. “Death by paper cut “

1 - 19 of 19 Posts