Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 1903 taken down, but I can see that there is rust flowing out from around the firing pin when I flush it with clp.

How do I remove the firing pin to see if I can remove the rust?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
There should be a small retaining pin crosswise in the slide, approximately in the middle of the slide serations. The pin is tapped out(I think)right to left. you may need to have a helper or a spare set of hands, as the firing pin(two pieces) and spring can fly out of the rear of the slide if not caught. You may also want to have someone hold the back of the firing pin (to release tension) as you tap out the retaining pin. I would not completely remove the retaining pin from the slide. Re assembly is in reverse order with an assistant holding the rear of the firing pin as you replace the retaining pin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll try that right to left first...

Looks like Numrich has the pin and spring available, so I'll replace the rusted out parts and have a good shooter...

Sounds like an easy operation when I say it fast.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Welcome BL . Unless it's broken , the firing pin will last quite awhile . Just take some 0000 steel wool and CLP and clean it off . Then wrap some steel wool around a Q-tip (I use the electronic cleaner type with wood stem from Staples) a little more CLP and clean out the firing pin channel . Then flush it out .

The new springs are a good idea . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1903's are great shooters . /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome BL . Unless it's broken , the firing pin will last quite awhile . Just take some 0000 steel wool and CLP and clean it off . Then wrap some steel wool around a Q-tip (I use the electronic cleaner type with wood stem from Staples) a little more CLP and clean out the firing pin channel . Then flush it out .

The new springs are a good idea . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1903's are great shooters . /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks fort he welcome..

You're absolutely right. I removed the firing pin and spring and was completely surprised. The pin and spring were in great shape. The pin channel must have had all the rust. I'll try your method to clean that channel.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts