Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
First time poster here but I've been on the 1911 forums for awhile.

I ended up with a 1903 .32 caliber in pretty good condition. Colt's website indicates it was produced in 1942 and it was military. I'm looking at the serial number and noticing the 0 is not as heavily impressed as the other numbers. Does that mean anything? SN is 560937.
I'll probably spend the 75 bucks and get a Colt letter. Gun shoots fine.

I'm looking for more info, this is my first 1903. Here's a pic. Appreciate any info you can pass along.

1903 colt 32 cal sn 560337 (1).jpg 1903 colt 32 cal sn 560337 (3).jpg
Thanks
fltsfshr

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice 1903 USP. Your pistol doesn't list as having been issued to a general officer. It's in the s/n range of pistols shipped to the Fowler building and it's blue rather than parked. Like Hoya I think it may be OSS. An archive letter is in order.
I find it interesting that the annual salary for a guard at the Fowler Building or the other locations nearby in 1942 was $1,200.00 a year.

·
Registered
574 Posts
OP, in your first post the photo is labeled "1903 colt 32 cal sn 560337 (3).jpg". Is the serial number 560337 or 560937? Can you post a close up of the SN? Regardless, nice piece. Lucky to have that one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for sharing information. I know lots more now. The gun came with a holster that a very nice fit and looks about right for the time. It has a few wear patterns and is a belt holster. One of the things I see on it is that although there is a back strap there is no snap. On the inside of the strap are some blue markings that have been blurred with age. I searched a bit online and only saw shoulder holsters.
Any ideas? 1903 Holster.jpg

fltsfshr

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Still haven't got a call back from Colt historian.

Wish they'd hurry up.

fltsfshr
EDIT: They called about 10 minutes after I posted this. Must be kismet

1 - 20 of 38 Posts