Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I’ve been lurking for a while reading and leaning a little about my 1903 type 1 .32. A friend came across this little pistol while moving. It was in a plastic zip lock bag stripped to the frame. It had…well…been sandblasted at some time. I managed to put it back together and got a set of repro grips from E-gun parts. It is darn near a smooth bore as it has real shallow rifling. But for free? I’m not complaining. My question is what do I have based on the description and pictures? It does shoot. And thanks to this forum I now know I got the hammer in wrong! I thought of having it restored to original if I go for the Colt letter to make sure of what it was made to. DOB 1905! Opinions appreciated.
PICT0020.jpg PICT0021.jpg PICT0022.jpg PICT0023.JPG PICT0024.jpg

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
A proper restoration will cost many more times than it would be worth in the end. The surface would have to be sanded down below all of the pitting and (if done properly) the lettering would have to be restamped. Your best bet is to leave it alone and let it become an introduction to the wonderful world of early Colt automatics. These are incredible guns with a rich history.
You can read more about your type I here:

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless Pistol - Coltautos.com Pistols and Revolvers for Firearms Collectors

Oh also, you are missing a screw that is opposite the side of the safety.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks twaits! It is a nice feeling handgun. And to think that is was made when Mr. Browning was alive is really cool! And for $75.00, I'm still going to get that Colt letter. I can't wait to see where it was shipped to!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Previs, I would love to get one. So far, I haven’t found anything on searching for one. I talked with a gunsmith friend and he mentioned relining the one I have.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
When looking for a new barrel keep in mind that the type one barrels are different from the later barrels and shorter.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,946 Posts
Hello all, I’ve been lurking for a while reading and leaning a little about my 1903 type 1 .32. A friend came across this little pistol while moving. It was in a plastic zip lock bag stripped to the frame. It had…well…been sandblasted at some time. I managed to put it back together and got a set of repro grips from E-gun parts. It is darn near a smooth bore as it has real shallow rifling. But for free? I’m not complaining. My question is what do I have based on the description and pictures? It does shoot. And thanks to this forum I now know I got the hammer in wrong! I thought of having it restored to original if I go for the Colt letter to make sure of what it was made to. DOB 1905! Opinions appreciated.
View attachment 22961 View attachment 22962 View attachment 22963 View attachment 22964 View attachment 22965
I bought a 4" type 1 barrel and a 3 3/4" type 2 barrel a while back thinking I might need them some day. I paid 125 each for them. I will sell them for 135 shipped. I know you need the 4" version. If I can help let me know. If anyone else needs one of these barrels let me know. Both have decent bores that will be accurate. If you aren't happy send 'em back and I will refund all your money.

·
Registered
209 Posts
well be sure and let us know the poop on it when you get the letter back. its also my duty to let you know that the colt model m is highly addictive!. if you own one rest assured there will be more in your future

1 - 14 of 14 Posts