Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From John Brunner's book on the Pocket Hammerless he writes that at some point the factory experimented
with a six inch target barrel for the 1903 hammrless and that little else is known. One unfinished factory prototype exists. The idea was not unique to Colt as at least one barrel maker " DU MOND " advertised in an issue of the NRA magazine to sell Hammerless Target barrels.

Ever seen one? Not too many people have.

Brunner goes on to say that there are 6 known examples in 32 and 3 in .380.
Today at the "Ohio Gun Collectors Association" May display show there was a rare
gathering of all the known (to me and 2 of my friends) Colt Hammerless Target barrel pistols.

I'm sure there are more of these rare barrels, maybe you have one or know of one. (pictures please)

Dave Smith has been chasing these barrels for many years and has been fortunate to find several, some with
a pistol, some without. Another well known Hammerless collector friend, Ralf Eyster has one of these unique
target barrel pistols and it was featured in his Hammerless display this weekend at the OGCA show.
Dave, Ralf and myself have been plotting for sometime now to get all our Target Barrel Hammerless together
for a few photo's for the fun of it. As it turns out it is probably a historical event! The largest gathering of
Colt Hammerless Target pistols ever, LOL. Who said you cant have fun too. While the pictures aren't the
best, my camera sucks about as much as my photo skills, I thought I would share them here.
It is interesting to note that none of the barrels are exactly alike, certainly a indication they are all
individually made and not from a cookie cutter design. Two of the Barrels are DU MOND marked the others
have no maker marks.

Colt LB 6 Pack - 1.jpg Colt LB 6 Pack - 2.jpg Colt LB 6 Pack - 4.jpg
The third picture has the 6 Pistols and 2 additional target barrels.

TB-4.jpg TB-10.jpg
The last two pictures here are of the slide pulled back and
a target barrel alone for a better view.

The gathering of the Target Hammerless was done for our own amusement
but after seeing how neat it was to see them together plans are a foot to
do this again but with proper lighting and a pro photographer.

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Thanks for this informative posting. More reasons why you just gotta love those wonderful little 1903s. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was really a sight to behold!!! Question are the serial numbers grouped in any way and what is the split 32 vs. 380?
John Brunner mentions in his book 3 known 380's, but I have never seen one myself.
The Target Barreled Hammerless in the pictures posted are all 32's. The serial number
ranges are from a very early 1904 type one to the latest being a 1927 pistol which
also has the longest barrel at 7 1/2 inches.
get-attachment.aspx.jpg

Reactions: bruno38 and ping10

·
Premium Member
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it one piece? Or is it a long barrel with a blued shroud attached?
As best as I can tell it is one long barrel with a sleeve or shroud for the exposed section.
Here are a few close up shots of one of the barrels.
DSCF0607.jpg DSCF0618.jpg DSCF0621.jpg DSCF0613.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts