Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my recently acquired .32 1903 Hammerless to the range for the first time today. Shoots very smooth and accurately, however, I experienced frequent jamming. About every 3rd round would be tilted vertically in the action. Occasionally, after loading the magazine and tapping vigorously against my hand before inserting in the pistol, I could empty the magazine without a jam.

This is a refurbished pistol with the original magazine and the consensus at the range was that it is the magazine causing my problem. My shooting was at a police range with qualified instructors so they should be knowledgeable. Is this common to these old pistols? Can an old mag be reworked to feed better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

[This message has been edited by Lexnol (edited 03-05-2005).]

·
Registered
312 Posts
1903 32 calibre Colts are very reliable normally. The most common cause of feeding problems is worn or old springs. If it were my pistol I would replace the magazine spring and the recoil spring. I would also check the inside edges of the magazine feed lips for nicks and too sharp edges. A stone can be used to dress the lips to remove any 'knife' edges.

·
Registered
909 Posts
What did they do when it was refurbished? Did they mess with the extractor? As far as I know, that was the problem with .380 reliability. Most .32's will eat any and everything. Try a different mag first, then the recoil spring and extractor would be suspect. HTH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will pick up a new magazine as a first step.

I have also noticed while shooting that the slide does not stay back when the magazine is empty. I thought this was normal with this pistol since it has the manual catch that holds the slide back. I was told however, that it should stay back after the last round is fired and that if it does not, a bad magazine could be the reason. Does this ring true?

Thanks again for any advice.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The slide does not lock back on the last shot. It can be locked back with the manual safey. This design comes from a different time, many pocket autos had no hold open. Some folks would pay a smith to modify the slide and magazine for this feature. While the military desired a hold open, many civilian pistols had none.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts