Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read some of how aftermarket magazines do not always function well, I enjoy shooting my 1903 but would rather keep the factory mag set aside & have a couple others to use instead. My gun functions flawless every time out & I want to keep her that way if possible. Does anyone have any Brand experience as I really can't afford to pony up for a couple of factory ones at this time. Found some by Triple K but know nothing of these or any others for that matter. Also would steel be preferred over plastic/polymer or?? Thanks for any help guy's, always a joy to read here on the Colt forum.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
Sorry to say, but I have never found an aftermarket magazine that worked good in any of my 1903s. Best watch GB and pay the money when a factory one comes along. Just my experience. Others may have had better luck with some aftermarket magazine. I just love those 1903s. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a second mag from Sarco out of curiousity. IIRC, I paid Thirty-something dollars for it and it wasn't even close to right.
I spent about an hour with the grinder/files/needle nose pliers re-shaping the top of the mag to get it to feed right. I still have to push up firmly on the bottom to get it to lock in, but it works now.
Whether you want to go to the trouble kinda depends on how comfortable you are with modifying stuff.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is no substitute for the original Colt factory magazines.
I'll second, third and fourth that. Colt factory mags are the only ones that work. Bumbazine is also correct. You can make some after markets work, kinda, if you're willing to put in the time. Keep your eyes and ears open, search everywhere, and buy when you find originals. You'll have to pay. But these mags are like land, they ain't making any more.
Wolff springs make the magazine spring, and that's really the only part that wears. And keep them empty till you're going to use them. That'll help some.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whew, good thing I asked some people in the know!! Thanks guys, saved me from a PITA for sure :). I will just do as recommended and wait for an original to come my way.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
438 Posts
When a friend lost his 1903 mag and came to me for help, I learned that Numerich sold a quality reproduction magazine that really worked. It was significantly more expensive than other brands, but I ordered one for him. We then took it to the range and it fed everything I put into it, to include WW Silvertip HPs, without a hickup. That's the spare mag to get.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Mine all have incorrect mags in 'em and work just fine. I have a 1908 .25 acp with the right one and that one works, too. I am looking for the right ones for my model Ms.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
When a friend lost his 1903 mag and came to me for help, I learned that Numerich sold a quality reproduction magazine that really worked. It was significantly more expensive than other brands, but I ordered one for him. We then took it to the range and it fed everything I put into it, to include WW Silvertip HPs, without a hickup. That's the spare mag to get.
Good info. Having just acquired a couple Mod M pistols I immediately started searching for spare mags on GB and found originals to be pretty pricey, when available. Having little previous exposure to these as an owner I erroneously thought they wouldn't be hard to come by. Got a wake up call on that thought ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts