Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many different magazines were made for this model ? What were their distinguishing characteristics ?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Broomhandle,

No one has replied so far to this post, so let me take a stab at it... A good friend and hunting buddy is a heavy collector of these little guns. Here is the best info I have on them:

The earliest Mags have the base pinned to the mag body.The 380 has six viewing holes and the .32 has seven holes in the side. The Shanghai mags have the holes in the front edges.

About 1910 two styles of markings for the 380 are noted. (The .32s appear to be unmarked at this point). The bases was marked "CALIBRE .380" in large letters, or "CAL.380 COLT" in smaller letters.

About 1913 Colted started case hardening the tops of the mags... (The silver colored tops)

About 1914 the .32s get marked "CAL .32 COLT".

About serial number 165xxx (235xx on the 380s) the mag base is crimped to the body.

About 1917 several different letter styles & sizes begin appearing in the mag base.

In 1926 the front part of the mag was extended upward and the mag follower was shortened to prevent it from catching the newly added mag safety feature.

In 1938 for the .32s and 1941 for the 380s the mag was fully blued again.

Hope that gets you a little more info on them... Bob Best

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. That's just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When Was I in the Corps ? I believe around 1957-1960 (the old corps) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
1st Mar Div, Ist Tank Btn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts