Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy

I recently got a hankering for a Colt pocket pistol, but hardly know anything about them. I'm looking for a comparison of the 1903 Pocket Hammer model and the 1903/1908 Pocket Hammerless. I hope I've got that right. I love old DA revolvers, and I thought I might enjoy having one of these old pistols for a little informal plinking. I've been reading the information over on Coltautos.com, but I don't see a comparison between the two. I think they are both handsome pistols, I think I lean a little bit towards the Hammered model.

I guess what I want to know is some basic comparisons between the two. Is one better engineered, stronger, more reliable, more expensive than the other? I would probably be looking for the .380 rather than the .32 if I could find one in good shootable condition at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The 1903 pocket hammer model is chambered in 38ACP. 38ACP ammo can be difficult to find. It is larger and heavier then the 32cal 1903 model M. The pocket hammmer is more expensive in the same condition, roughly twice the price. If informal plinking is the goal, the 32cal 1903 (Model M) is the better choice. The model M also was chambered in .380 cal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gunfish

Thanks for the heads up on the cartridges-I did not realize the 38acp was different than the 380acp.

Are the internal designs different enough that one could be considered more rugged, more reliable, than the other? I guess what I'm asking is which one am I more likely to find in shootable condiiton? On the outside they look like very different guns. Are they as dissimilar on the inside?

Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
312 Posts
They are not similar in construction. The pocket hammer model is a forerunner of the 1911 design, it uses a pivoting barrel on fore and aft pins. It is more complicated than the model M. Far fewer hammer models were made, perhaps 30,000. A shooter will start at 400$. Half-cock is the only saftey.
More than 550,000 model M types were built, they are much more common and a shooter may be had for under 200$. The model M has about 7 variations depending on caliber, year of production, and safetys. Availability, price, and ammo make it a better choice for 'plinking'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gunfish

Again-thanks for the information. I still think the Hammered Model just looks niftier, but I will be on the lookout for a Hammerless. Thanks for your advice.

[This message has been edited by Driftwood Johnson (edited 05-21-2005).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts