Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What date was this made? I'm seeing some conflicting info on the serial numbers.

Also to reload for 38 auto one is to use 38 super brass and dies? Thinking I'll need to load these as the ammo looks as rare as hen's teeth!

They don't make em like this any more! I need to go shoot this one!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
337 Posts
They sure don't. That's a beauty! If you want to duplicate 38 ACP, you'll probably want to use the 130 grain JRN bullets. Some obsess over whether the bullets are .355" or .356". I've not found this to be an issue in loading Colt and other pistols. I've used RCBS and Dillon dies to load the Super. They would load 38 ACP just as well. I've experienced excellent performance from Starline brass, but at the lower 38 ACP pressures, any name brand brass would likely work just fine. Some of the reloading manuals list loads for 38 ACP. Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
One of my favorite guns to shoot. They are pleasant because of low recoil and are surprisingly accurate. Yours is in great condition!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm.. I have some 115 grain FMJ RN... 355" bullets I load for my hi power 9mm. Would these be good to try?

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Great thanks! Any bullet weight / type that are preferred (or dare I ask for load data ) ? Which dies?

Hornady has .38 ACP data using the Alliant powder, but not for the 130 MC bullet. If the loads are at the start level for the Super, say around 1,000 fps, I think you'd be fine. The older Lyman Reloading manuals suggested to use a bullet weight less then 133 grain and not to exceed the start load iirc.
The 38 ACP was rated @ 1040 fps.

I don't have a Pocket Hammer yet, but have a Star 9mm Largo / 38 ACP and an Astra 400. I load the 38 ACP for them, but I have wiggle room, because the 9mm Largo is a bit more potent then the 38 ACP.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to use .355" FMJ RN in a .38 ACP, 38 Super, .38 Super Comp or 9X23 Winchester.
Montana Gold makes a true 130 RNMC bullet for the .38 Super it is .356, as are the Winchester and Remington bullets which are a flat point.
Nothing wrong with using the 124-5 grain .355 bullet.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Hmm.. I have some 115 grain FMJ RN... 355" bullets I load for my hi power 9mm. Would these be good to try?

I don't see why not. start low, load 5-10 rounds, step up a bit and when the pistol starts to function reliably even if a bit sluggish you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Buffaloarms.com has 38 ACP ammo available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts