Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am a brand new guest to this site, but it seems like the source for good information on Colts, so here are a few questions I was hoping to get help with:

1. As a first time pistol owner, I am totally lost. My Father-in-Law just gave me this gun and I am torn between selling it to someone that might actually be able to appreciate it and just holding on to it. Does this gun kick much when fired and is it pretty easy to clean if I were to just start shooting with it?

2. If I were to sell, is Gunbroker.com worth the effort or can I get decent value at local gun shops?

3. How come some people are so adamant about not showing the serial number?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Can u post more pics on both sides and close ups of the grips?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have these two other pictures now. I did the obligatory blurring of the serial number, just in case ( I guess). Image.jpg Image 1.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can't help you much with your questions but I'd recommend keeping it. And no, it doesn't kick much. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I agree...keep it, keep it well Oiled and clean...take it out shooting once in a while and have fun with it.

Recoil is very mild on the .32 Autos.

It is a very early one, with the 'Plunge Milled' Serritons on the Slide ( which some people, me for one, really like )...it has been re-finished though, and fairly heavily buffed when it was done...and, so, value wise, would not be near as high as it would if an original and worn or worn out finish.

It has it's charm! and would be fun to own and shoot now and then...or to keep on hand for Home Defense if ever needed, once one is familiar with it and had some practice time.

If you did decide to sell, start a dedicated Thread here about what a fair evaluation would be, then, sell it here, in the Classified section...or if no takers here in the Classifieds, then Gunbroker.

Local Gun Stores would be a waste or time, and they would only low ball it something terrible.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
As to the home come some people are so adament about not showing the Serial Numbers, I don't really know.

Possibly, they fear someone might forge a transfer or Bill Of Sale pre-dating the time of seeing the Serial Number on the Web, then claim the Gun was stolen from them ( but I doubt that could work very well, as well as, why would anyone bother unless it were something high enough dollar wise to justify the risk and the effort? )...otherwise, there is no reason to care if the Serial Number shows or is given for purposes of dating it...or, no reason I can think of anyway.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
My suggestion is i you value it then keep it. If not then sell it. Grips appear to be later and it appears refinished, so it's not really a collectable piece. That said - value about $400- 500 tops in my opinion. Mke sure that it has the correct mag and that it functions correctly.
Ted

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I wondered the same thing about serial numbers long ago but was assured by many that not much can really happen by revealing the serial number. So now I don't worry about it. I've posted many serial numbers with no ill effect as have many others here.

That said I think you have a very interesting old Colt. I too like the early plunge milled serrations. It is too bad that someone overbuffed and refinished it but at least that makes it a guilt free shooter. These are very fun to shoot with very little recoil. My vote is keep it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
It appears to be an early, like 1903 early, model M. The grips are from a later one, but look to be in serviceable condition. The refinish is not so great, but if it is good machanically and the bore has a hole down the middle, you should be ok.
They are nice shooters. You should go out and blast away with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the great input. I really appreciate it.

I am planning on keeping it, so may go shoot this weekend. Am definitely looking forward to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts