Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Week or so ago conversation came up about transition PP vs. NP vs. Pocket P vs. NP and the differences and similarities and the use of components marked for two different models on the same gun. I have here a Police Positive in 32 Police, 6" barrel. Not a transition gun in that it does not have markings or barrel style crossing models and style changes. I'm posting a few pics of this rather nice revolver.

Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Revolver Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Revolver Gun Trigger Starting pistol Auto part Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
What is the Serial Number of the "1906"?

( Last digits as "X"s is fine of course ).

Serial Number as it appears in the inside Crane Knuckle area.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi, MMCSRET, I, too, would like to know the serial number. According to TBOCF, Colt didn't begin production of the Police Positive .32 until 1907, at SN 49500, and the FDL grips, ca. 1909. That gun has all the more "modern" :) features, including the frame covering the bottom of the crane. You could PM that SN. if you prefer.

Thanks,

Dick

Reactions: Collects

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Indeed, all details of the Revolver appear to my eye to be 1914 - 1924...

There is nothing '1906' about it in any detail or aspect or feature.

Frame is much later, Cylinder Latch is much later, Barrel is much later.

The .32 Police Positives were a different Serial Range from the .38 NP/SW ones. But, even still, I suspect a digit or two is being left out, or there is a PD or Commercial Inventory # or other Number on the Butt, which is causing confusion.

Hence - it would be important to know what Number is to be found on the Crane and Frame, in the inside Crane Knuckle area.

Lovely little PP .32!!

But, is no way "1906" production, unless maybe it got a new Barrel, a new Sideplate, a new Cylinder Latch and a new Frame, sometime later on!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies to all. I misread the # stamped on the crane and frame. Pulled the side plate to verify that it is a 1907 gun; S/N 389XX.
On the crane and frame it reads 339XX. All stamps are very small and very difficult to read, the side plate was clearer and I made an etching of it, 389XX makes it a 1907 gun, fully transitioned.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
It is totally not right for circa 1907.

Makes no sense - the features it shows, Cylinder Latch, Barrel, Frame profile, did not exist yet, and would not exist for some years yet.

There was no 'transition' yet for it to have completed.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Pocket Positive in 32 Colt that has the checked cylinder latch but has the straight barrel and both New Pocket and Pocket Positive labeling. Lots of wonderment in this world, especially that which occurred before I arrived on scene. I have a 1910 Police Positive in 32 Colt that does not have a checked latch; more wonderment!!!!!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
1910 the Flat Latch was already gone and replaced by the 'rounded/checkered' Latch, for the smaller and mid frame DAs. But not for the large Frame New Service.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Can you post some clear, well lit, close ups of the Barrel Top Texts?

And, of the Calibre designation -dash - Model info on the Barrel left side?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Material property Eye liner Cosmetics Metal Here goes for the two requested pics of the barrel.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi, again, MMCSRET,

Thanks for hanging with us. I have a .32 Pol. Pos. that looks identical to yours, same features, same mkgs. on the barrel, SN 182xxx (1922.) I guess all we're lacking is a photo of the serial number. I'm also curious from which reference you're getting the date of manufacture for that SN. If it were a New Police, it would be 1906. As stated earlier, the .32 Pol. Positives started in 1907 at SN 49500. A Pocket Positive with your SN would be 1907.

Please don't leave us in a perpetual state of wonderment! :)

Thanks,

Dick

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm using Wilsons pocket size and Proofhouse. I don't know about a pic of the S/N. The font is the smallest I've ever seen on a Colt. I'm going to try.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. Here are pics of all three S/N locations

Revolver Trigger Bicycle fork Bicycle part Revolver

Reactions: Collects

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Boy, I see now why you were having trouble making it out. My guess, as a non-expert, is that the first mark is the numeral 1, which would put your gun in the 1917 year range. I have a 1912 .32 Colt Pol. Pos. with a deeply struck "1" as the lead digit, 103xxx, but it's the normal font. None of my .32's of that vintage, or 38's, for that matter, have any mark in front of the SN, so I'm sticking with my guess until an expert chimes in. Do you suppose they substituted a hyphen for a broken 1 die? The letter spacing on the sideplate is my strongest argument, so far.

Dick

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking you are right. That mark looks different to me in all three strikes, If it is meant to be a 1 (one) I would want it to look the same, the other numerals are all struck alike in all three locations; to my eye. Fine with me if it's a 1917 gun, it's such a nice piece that age doesn't really bother or excite me. I'm just glad to have it at the price I paid for it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Here's my Police Positive chambered in .32 NP. According to the Colt Letter, it shipped in 1913 to Montreal Canada. The butt is engraved CPR 6, for Canadian Pacific Railway.

According to Proofhouse the gun was made in 1914; as does my copy of the RL Wilson book.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
MMCSRET, you're right, the frame and crane "1" looks more like an exclamation point with the dot missing. I've stamped a lot of survey brass caps and you always have to lighten up on the "1" 'cause it goes deeper. If the die were beveled for strength, not holding it squarely would give it a tapered look. Somewhere along the way, I inherited a jewelers loupe and, boy, is that thing handy for getting a good look at small things. Thanks, again, Oyeboten and I can sleep now!

CWO4USCGRET, that's sure a nice one. Fifty in the shipment, wow! I've got a .38 Pol. Pos. from 1924 with "AM. RY. EXP." on the backstrap. There were twenty in that shipment to San Francisco. Yes, I'm getting used to information being a year or two off--that 1907 .32 Pol. Pos. has the contoured triggerguard which supposedly occurred ca. 1909, from what I've read. But, that's the only "incorrect" feature on that gun which, by the way, fellow forum member "gertieharry" was kind enough to let me have.

Dick

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Woo Hoo!

Mystery solved!

Yes, "1917" fits perfectly for all the details and features seen on this Revolver.

I also have seen some older Colt Serial Numbers, where one character is a differing font or looks out of place as well, but, that is just how things were sometimes, they'd break or misplace a Stamp, grab one from another Set or something, keep rolling...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts