Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gun has the appropriate numbers matching the Colt Letter with 7 1/2 Barrel listed and caliber matches ie 44/c
I have concerns with barrel lettering(replacement barrel ?) and the grips(unlisted on letter and cross hatch on backstrap(Not listed on letter ?)
QUESTIONS
1 It was shipped as 1 gun only to E K Tryon and Co-Could it be a special order if so value ?
2 if the barrel/grips/cross hatch on backstrap are add ons what is the value of the piece?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
E K Tryon was a sporting goods wholesaler in Philadelphia, so this gun did not go to an individual.

After market "enhancements" would affect value negatively.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E K Tryon was a sporting goods wholesaler in Philadelphia, so this gun did not go to an individual.

After market "enhancements" would affect value negatively.
I am sorry in I did not clarify-I knew it was shipped to a retailer in a 1 gun shipment-Thought that might be a sign of special order ? Value of piece if original and value if items were add on ?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Again a response with no opinion on value- Sure would appreciate thought on value as I m contemplating trading for it!
I will take a stab at this. The grips and cross hatching do not letter but are very professionally executed. I think the barrel is original, but the lettering may have been enhanced. The condition overall isn't bad, and .44-40 remains a desirable calibre. Bisleys, unfortunately, are less desirable. I would think $2,000 or a tad more would be a fair price for this one.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I think it's original. Grips look factory and seem to fit very well. Barrel looks right but i'm not a student of the Bisley model.
4500.00 if all correct.
My gut instinct is that this is correct, as it "looks" original, but it doesn't letter as such. If this can be proven without a shadow of doubt, then you can double my estimate, and your suggested valuation is about right.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I also think most of it looks original. No one would have bothered to checker the strap, put a new barrel on, but leave the buggered screws and the 70% finish. I'd guess original or very old re-do. Grips look good. Trigger is too far back, probably some problems with the action. If not, I'd probably go about $1800 to $2200 on it, but I'm very conservative and patient when I buy. Someone else might pay a little more.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Do they say when the bisley was shipped? That 44-40 marking on the rear of the "colt frontier six shooter" marking came about 1911 or so. If the gun was shipped earlier than that then the barrel has been swapped out.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
1. I agree, one gun shipments, especially to gun retailers, often, but not always, indicate a special order.
2. The work looks factory to me including the grip fit.
3. The books list special order checkered triggers from the factory.
4. Is there a star or an & on the right rear trigger guard flat? The letter would not have information about returns to the factory for special additions/rework, etc.

You didn't give us a good enough photo to evaluate the barrel roll marking.

$4500 plus.

Jim

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Boy, if that isn't genuine it ought to be. The stocks fit as good as any Bisley I've seen and the checkered strap looks factory. Like Jim said, it could have gone back for the work.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I directed the OP here from another forum so he could get a few expert opinions. I had told him about the same thing he has gotten here. It sure looks good but it should letter the grips and checkered backstrap. He said it did not have any markings to indicate a trip back to Colt. Some better pictures may help but this also may be an unsolved mystery.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Killer looking Bisley whether original configuration or not.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
azshot probably has a good value on it. weagle has a great point, since we live all over the US and different places expect different prices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called Colt
Grip and Cross hatch are add on
Needs 200 n trigger work
Cabela s paid 5000 a year ago slashed to 2499 I jumped -(They were bought)
Thanks all it is alot better than pics!!!!!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
My gut instinct is that this is correct, as it "looks" original, but it doesn't letter as such. If this can be proven without a shadow of doubt, then you can double my estimate, and your suggested valuation is about right.
Ah, ya. The letter! my short term memory is toast!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts