Colt Forum banner

1907 SAA purpose built shooter

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Dan338 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up this SAA for the purpose of using it. I like .38 special as ammo is resonable. I purchased this gun for less then the price of a 3rd Gen shooter. What I am finding is someone really put together a beautiful purpose built 1st gen with a great finish. I would like to know about all the parts used in this purpose built SAA and have a few questions on some markings.

The left grip strap has "634 R" and a "Q" on it (pictures of everything below) any ideas on what it means?

The cylinder is marked "J F Q" on the front any ideas on this?

Can you tell from the barrel top markings what Gen. it is?

I believe from another thread the stocks are Colt, can you tell from the picture of the backs also?

Any Idea on who did the refinishing?

All in all it is a beautiful SAA even though it is re-barreled and refinished. TIA

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I certainly don’t believe that the current refinish/restoration was performed by Colt, but the “634 R” looks very much like a “Rework Number” that Colt applied when they performed rework in the prewar era. Perhaps this Colt went back to Colt many years ago for rework.

The current refinish/restoration was aggressive enough to remove the Verified Proof stamp from the left front trigger guard bow, but the serial numbers look fairly crisp; perhaps they’ve been re-stamped.

The hammer has been replaced also; a single action in this serial number range would have the bordered knurling without the slash.

A pretty nice "purpose built" Colt!

#13 ·
I certainly don’t believe that the current refinish/restoration was performed by Colt, but the “634 R” looks very much like a “Rework Number” that Colt applied when they performed rework in the prewar era. Perhaps this Colt went back to Colt many years ago for rework.The current refinish/restoration was aggressive enough to remove the Verified Proof stamp from the left front trigger guard bow, but the serial numbers look fairly crisp; perhaps they’ve been re-stamped.The hammer has been replaced also; a single action in this serial number range would have the bordered knurling without the slash.A pretty nice "purpose built" Colt!
The 634 may be a date code, such as June 1934.

#14 ·
Thank you Hopalong, I just checked with our friends at the Colt custom shop, and they only have computer records back to 1997. They do believe that is was sent to Turnbull for refinish. For anyone that keeps track of this stuff, please mark down that the "Q" on the grip frame is most likely a polishers stamp. "We have some of our polishers that stamp around there to mark the guns they polish"

#16 ·
Thank you Hopalong, I just checked with our friends at the Colt custom shop, and they only have computer records back to 1997. They do believe that is was sent to Turnbull for refinish. For anyone that keeps track of this stuff, please mark down that the "Q" on the grip frame is most likely a polishers stamp. "We have some of our polishers that stamp around there to mark the guns they polish"
Elliot, The case color looks like it may have been done by Classic Guns L.T.D. Tim

#15 ·
Here's another 'purpose built' SAA, first as I received it. It has US marked frame, new condition (then 1950s) Colt barrel, cyl & innards. The silvery looking places are the remains of aluminum 'metalizing' ( gas-weld process) popular back in the day easily scraped off. Someone's conversion of a real 'artillery' into a shooter, 3 -4 digit grip frames.

Here is my 'rework', grips I made, gave it a kind of 'oldie' finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.