Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
is the one on the right an original nickel? If so..you are going hack it up?? From the picture that looks like a crime!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Trigger Starting pistol Revolver since you intend to modify them any way would you consider trading the British proofed for a 4 digit serial number made in 1909, all correct including mag. Finish is thin , serial #92xx. On the left and bottom respectively.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
No problem. You know the mods you describe basically already exist in a period 380. Before spending so much on guns and gunsmithing have you considered the Remington Model 51. Designed by John Pederson, it's shorter and thinner than the Colt Model M. same number of rounds. The cost per gun is about 1/2 to 3/4, The sights are already basically a gutter snipe style set up, push button 1911 mag release, grip angle closer to a 1911 or even Luger providing a more natural point and shoot set up. The only thing you mentioned that you are going for is the TALO style forward griping area which frankly on a slide as short as a Model 51 or Model M isn't really useful. See the pix for comparison. Just something to think about unless you are just trying something for the heck of it.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Yes, and? The one on the left has British Proof marks as well. Everyone tells me it is a crime so I tell them to give me a grand a pop for them and you can save them from my hacking. So far nobody has given me that price so they are going under the knife
Well they are yours and you have the right to smash them with a hammer if you want. But im betting you are killing the value not improving it.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
chaosrob, I agree with you 100%. Many things in this interesting life are more important than money: good health and fine relationships immediately pop into mind as examples.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
... Like almost anything there is room for improvement, for me, and I am going to pursue it. I do not have one vehicle that is not modded nor are any of my firearms completely stock. It's just my nature, better or worse.
True, but would you polish the factory patina off a Tiffany lamp? Glue glitter on a Faberge Egg? Chop an original condition Ford model A? Each generation has people that decide they can "improve upon" items that were made far in the distant past. Each subsequent generation looks at these alterations and asks, "why....why did he ruin an antique?"

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Well stated!

Chaos, these are your guns and you may do as you like with them. Change them, modify them, reblue them, use them to nail up "Wanted" posters and open bottles of beer, make lamps out of them, drag them behind your truck, shoot them, carry them, and enjoy them however it is that you enjoy your possessions.

Modifying your Colts will make the remaining unmodified Colts of the purist collectors more valuable.

Why leave Colts unmodified, pristine in your safe for future generations, if you wish to do something to them right now? Will you enjoy them more if you know that your heirs will receive collector-quality unmodified Colts or if you modify them to meet your personal parameters and use them as you wish during your life? Your guns; your choices.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts

History is now, what we make it, and how we do things. What we see as history now will be ancient history later, and what we are doing now as history. History can be kind or unkind but in the end it is all a matter of perspective
Are you saying that the history you make will be as important as what Col Colt made? It's not about future value. It's about not destroying American heritage. No more 1908 colts are being made, hundreds of new guns with the features you want are being made today. I've just adapted the attitude that I am a temporary custodian of my possessions, including my antiques, the land I live on, even the environment will be here long after my short decades of life. Yep, I'll be dead, the guns may be in someone elses hands. I believe in keeping the antiques, trees, fishing waters, EVERYTHING as is for the next generation. No "improvements" of things that cannot be replaced. But we can stop and just agree to disagree. I'm sure the gun, when complete, will be fun.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well Put. You guys are acting like he's shooting the only Luger 45 in the world. The gun is not a collecter, it's not rare. He is taking his property and making it to fit his needs and wants. Key word here "HIS". I say more power to ya.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
While I don't agree with what the OP is doing (especially the British proofed one) I must defend his right and decision to see if he can go John Browning one better. More power to him for standing up and trying. I for one will remain interested in seeing the results and to hear his opinion if the ride was worth the cost. If it works out I may reach out to his gunsmith to rework one of my less pristine 1908's. Although as I said my Remington 51 meets most of the issues he finds troubling on the Model M.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I personally don't care for either customized guns or customized cars but if I had an original .45 Luger I'd sure shoot it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts