Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in WTB also. Just want to share my mistake so no one else does it. Be careful reinserting striker spring & pin.:bang_wall:

Well I went and did it. I have a 1908 Hammerless Vest Pocket early manufactured model, and it is my "hands on" learning pistol. Since I put the mag in another pistol with a better slide, I play with this one. I take it apart with my boyhood curiosity.. Fine..... Clean it all up. Looks great........ I am putting back together, and pushing the slide to lock it back in place and the striker pin & spring slipped to the left and the pin launched like a rocket off into the hinterlands. Can't find it for a song. Even on my hands and knees flashlight in one hand magnet in the other. I've seen carpenter ants bigger than that pin! The wife is continuing the search but I don't hold out much hope.

Does anyone know where I can find another since I doubt Colt has any hanging around. Otherwise, I may have to put it on the shelf or pc all of the parts out and say good bye to my old friend....:mad:

Any ideas please?​

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
You are not alone, my friend. The actual proper designation of the part that achievves escape velocity is the 'Jeezis!' spring. It is so named because of the expletive uttered at the moment of launch. Sometimes it is just the spring, but more often than not, it includes a pin or retainer or other moveable part. Like a multi-stage launch, sort of.
I promise you, this is a common thing among us. Not everyone is willing to discuss it. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
That bein' said, a Jeezis spring was sent into orbit one day at the trading post. The spring was not as important as the pin that was driven out ahead of it. A major search was conducted, and eventually it was assumed that the missing part had actually departed this dimension, and could be anywhere in this universe or in an altenate one. No trace of the thing was ever found.....that is until one day 6 months later, someone was pawing through a small tub of shellholders or something and waddya know? The part had miraculously returned form its' transdimensional journey, and emerged intact and fully functional, within 10 feet of where it made its' exit.
In my personal experience, I have found the parts through patient, calm, thoughtful, logical, strategic methods.
That thing is close by. You may need more than one magnet, and perhaps a righteously powerful one. Tie it off with cord and drag that thing around and around all the corners & cracks. Be sure to completely 'scan' every square inch of the room, including all rugs & carpets, and underneath the rugs. Check in the furniture. You would not believe the stuff that comes out from behind seat cushions. I have had the ironic good fortune to have found the missing part the same day as the replacement parts arrived from the manufacturer. I checked the found part against the new one, and elected to use the found and keep the new as spare. The Supreme Being acts in mysterious ways. I am gratful to learn something new evey day.
When using a light, be sure to operate it at thje lowest angle possible, right down with light and eyeballs at fllor level. I have found lots of shot-off parts this way.
In terms of prevention, I have chosen to do 'risky' disassembly & reassembly inside a gallon size ziplok bag, or if it is something relatively simple, I just cover the work with a rag. I have never lost a part using these methods. I also have a stout magnet on hand for the potential 'roller', which can escape from time to time.
I am familiar with the setup you are working with. I would be somewhat freaked out myself if I lost that thing. It will turn up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks oberon. I know the vacinity where it "should be". There is a three panel baseboard radiator in the three sided "nook" where I was working. Both my wife and I heard it hit the metal cover of the radiator baseboard. I took off all of the covers, looked through every fin tied to that copper pipe, and even vacummed the crack where the hardwood floor meets the wall board. Of course we tied a mesh panty hose around the vac hose aand then added the needle attachemnt..NOTHING! Well no pin, lots of paperclips, pens, etc. There is one more place....where the copper pipes come up through the floor for both inbound and return. There is insulation stuffed in there so hopefully I can go down cellar and pull that insulation down an find it stuck in there. Otherwise, we have hardwood floors with 40' of the table. Since we heard it "ricochet" off the radiator cover basdeboard cover, it could have gone in any direction. Furniture, yep leather coutch and chair. We will stay vigilant.It sounds as if I am somewhat "lucky" to still have the spring.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
My most successful way to find small lost parts is to walk around barefooted. Soon, the small part pokes a small hole in my foot, I jump around uttering unmentionable words, and have found the lost part! That was easy!

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Get a big Magnet...and go over every 'inch' of the Room...

Indeed anyone who has ever 'worked on' Guns, has done this, one way or another!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts