Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received it, and here are a few photos.
Unfortunately the photos don't do it justice, it looks much more blue in real life.

1908 is the first year of manufacture for the Police Positive Special (PPS).

There is some finish wear at the end of the barrel and at the wheel. There is also some wear at the back side of the grips. I'm guessing it saw its share of holster time.

Its been cleaned and checked out. Ready to shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Nice revolver. Those hard rubber stocks have a tendency to crack and chip. If those are intact, you might consider getting a reproduction pair to use for shooting.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I've never seen or heard of hard rubber cracking from firing. I've fired my Colts with Hard Rubber grips many times for decades with no problems. From New Services down to Police Positives. I think this is a very rare occurrence. People say it about pearl and ivory too....but it seems to be internet legend. I don't want a run on everyone pulling their original grips and buying replicas for an unfounded reason.

People dropping the gun, or slamming the holstered butt against door frames and walls...yes.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I've never seen or heard of hard rubber cracking from firing. People dropping the gun, or slamming the holstered butt against door frames and walls...yes.
I have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Very Nice Sir !!

Love the background props too.

...What year does the " tin lizzie " date to...?!

:cool:
That's a late 1930 Ford Model A pickup, unrestored.
I would say its my 'daily driver', but I go out only about three times a week :)

Photo #4 is a camel that died several years back. The death was completely unrelated to this forum or subject, so I wish all those pitchfork-wielding Prius-driving vegans would leave me alone! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice revolver. Those hard rubber stocks have a tendency to crack and chip. If those are intact, you might consider getting a reproduction pair to use for shooting.
I've heard that too. These original grips are VERY hard, and they could crack with some stress. I made it a point to buy a PPS with undamaged original grips (darn hard to find!).

I would use repops for shooting...except...I hate repops! So I'll look for an original pair of grips with some minor issues, then I'll shoot with those.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I have a 6" 1919 of that, and I like it a lot.
Of course, mine has big chunk knocked off one of the grips, but after all, it is 100 years old.
The skinny long grip frame is a very attractive fearture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts