Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I purchased a Triple K magazine at a gun show for a spare mag for a 1908 Model N. I took my Model N out to the range to test the Triple K magazine, along with an original mag that came with the pistol. The Triple K magazine was a complete failure, it wouldn't feed the first round. I tried eight time to rack the first round with two brand of ammunition and on each attempt I completely reloaded the magazine without any luck. On the same day I ran 70 rounds through the Model N with it's original magazine without any issues, so it's the gun.
Did I just ran into a bad magazine or should Triple K magazines brand be avoided?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Too bad, you learned an expensive lesson as I did.
I purchased 2 for a Browning Medalist. Both junk.
Never again.....

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
This is not the first time someone has had miserable results with those things. They are equally unreliable in model Ms as well.
I do not know why they are so.........crappy.........., but anyone who is reasonably handy can make them run.
The point being, you ought not have to fiddle with 'em to make 'em work in the first place.
I use strictly OE factory magazines in my Ms & Ns.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
I have a couple of the Whitney "Wolverine" .22 LR semi-auto pistols from the late 1950's that I really like. Years ago, I was looking for an extra magazine and tried a Triple K. It was complete junk and I would never buy anything else from them.

- -Buckspen

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not the first time someone has had miserable results with those things. They are equally unreliable in model Ms as well.
I do not know why they are so.........crappy.........., but anyone who is reasonably handy can make them run.
The point being, you ought not have to fiddle with 'em to make 'em work in the first place.
I use strictly OE factory magazines in my Ms & Ns.
A $27.00 lesson, now on OE factory magazines only for my model M and model N.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I guess I have better luck than most. The ones I bought for Colts and other guns either worked or could be made to work with a little tuning of the feed lips. It helps to have a proper functioning factory mag to compare it with and take measurements, check the feed angle, etc.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
My buddy bought 5 NIP ( New In Package ) at a gun show for his M1 Carbine...every one of the 5 failed.

The three originals...inserted in order after each fail...worked.

Worst part...he was stuck with them because the gun show guy was never seen again...

How's THAT for a double FAIL !!

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Before I knew any better, I bought one of the Triple K mags at a local gun store for a Model M - and it worked fine! I guess I got lucky.
Kim

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Walt, I think it's great you have the skills, understanding of geometry, and patience to adjust and tweek Triple K mags to work in your pistols.

However, it is totally unacceptable to me as a consumer to spend even just $20-$30 on products that are historically unreliable junk.
The only scenario I can think of for buying a magazine from them is if I need a rare magazine that I don't have even have one original for the pistol. Even then, I think I would wait until I found an original mag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess I have also been lucky. I've got 5 of the Triple K's and all work fine in my M. I have returned other (other guns) magazines to Triple K for non-funtion and they quickly returned functioning mags.

I'd love to only use OEM mags, but have you looked at the current prices for those? Not gonna happen on my budget. When I've found them online, they've been on the order of $200+ each.

·
Registered
94 Posts
On Ebay there is a seller of mags for both the 1903 and the 1908 (.380) that work pretty good. I have purchased 4-5 mags from him and only one won't work properly. But I too have purchased Triple K and replaced the springs inside with proper springs from Wolf. The Wolf springs come in bunches of 3 and have more loops than the Triple K mags. This increases the spring tension and the rounds pop up at a better angle and go right into battery. I have also made a couple of purchases of original mags from Ebay sellers just in case those didn't work and I have been pleased but for the extra cost, ($120- $150). Never paid $150 but I watched when someone had under priced theirs. Love those little guns and they almost always work and fit great in concealed carry.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Don't even try to get a Triple-K mag to work in a Hi Standard.

It's interesting, maybe a lot more work goes into the manufacturing of magazines than people think. Maybe machine skills, or machines, or steels are NOT as good today as they were in 1950s America?

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
This is why originals are over $100 a pop. I once bought a 1908 from Cabelas because it came with FIVE factory magazines. The gun was in the box and had 5 magazines and the whole package was $700.
The magazines alone were worth $500+

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Don't even try to get a Triple-K mag to work in a Hi Standard.
?
Hi Standards are notoriously finicky
I've tried Triple-K magazines in a Field King, HD-Military, Duramatic and GB. Read and watched tutorials on how and what to measure and even made the lip adjustment tool. I'd get some to work one weekend and the next weekend they turned into 1st class jam-a-matics. Turns out the lips are not "treated" and magically become un-adjusted if you look at them too hard.

I guess it take longer for me to look at a horseshoe than most.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I been to three gun shows in the last few weeks with no luck finding an original Model N magazine at any price. So I took the Triple K magazine back to range, for an other test run, why not.
Sadly to report same results, magazine wouldn't feed the first rounds, using a few different brand of ammo. Original magazine function flawlessly!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts