Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to show off my most recent purchase. It is (I believe) a 1908 Police Positive 38 - someone else has said they think 1906. Serial number under the crane is 23728. I think it is a "transitional" because it says Colt's New Police on the frame and COLT POLICE POSITIVE 38 on the barrel. It is mechanically in great condition with an very good bore. It looks better in person than in these pictures. There appear to be traces of fire blue on the top of the hammer and maybe on the trigger. The pictures seem to be highlighting the flaws to the finish, but it's actually not bad, with honest wear.

A question - is there a preference as to shooting 38 Long Colt or short Colt, or does it matter? THanks all.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Gun Revolver Trigger Cylinder

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
According to Wilson's The Book of Colt Firearms, it would fall in the 1908 range of serial numbers. It was chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge, Colt's name for which was the .38 New Police. The .38 Colt Long and Short cartridges are .02" inch smaller in diameter, if I remember correctly. And, the Long round is too long for the chambers.

Dick

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
You can shoot ".38 S & W" in it.

.38 Long Colt is not for this Revolver. ( Too long of a Cartridge, and wrong diameter - .38 Colt and .38 Special are smaller diameter than .38 NP/.38S&W . )

.38 Colt New Police Cartridge, and, .38 S & W were interchangeable Cartridges...and are what this Revolver was made for.

What a nice Police Positive/New Police!

Those 'early' ones are my favorite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts