Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine are capable of making a ton of noise!!! I would say that they are reasonably accurate, but not a precision weapon by any means.
I don't believe that I have ever shot mine at more than a 15 foot target, but i can keep them all in a paper plate sized ground at that range.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
When you combine the mediocre sights and what may be an indifferent trigger you are not going to get a target gun. I have never fired mine at more than 7 yards. These were intended to be a belly gun carried in a vest pocket or purse. Right now .25 ammo is so hard to get very few people are going to try any long-range target shooting with one.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Mine are plenty accurate - just hard to shoot that way because of the small size. Your grip is essentially your middle and ring finger on the front strap and I find I have to squeeze harder than I would like to get the grip safety off.

Having said that, I get very reasonable groups at normal shooting distances - say out to 10 yards. Just for fun, I did shoot at a 5 gallon steel bucket at 100 yards and hit it twice out of six shots. (One hit really square and actually penetrated the bucket. That was a surprise!)

If you have ammo - I definitely recommend going slow to get used to how it shoots and then run the target down a bit. The sights are minuscule, but they do help as you get farther out.

I think they are really cool little guns. I love the design, and think it may have been the first commercial striker fired pistol. (Take that Glock fans!!)

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Small pistols and revolvers should be considered a last resort tactic when the BG is right on top of you. Say, for instance, there is a scuffle and you are getting the bleep kicked out of you by a homicidal screwball. Another scenario would be dealing with a carjacker.
If your normal strategy of avoidance &
seek cover is ineffective, engage the BG with your primary. Out of ammo, and cannot reload?..... well, the best, most fastest reload is a loaded gun.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine are plenty accurate - just hard to shoot that way because of the small size. Your grip is essentially your middle and ring finger on the front strap and I find I have to squeeze harder than I would like to get the grip safety off.

Having said that, I get very reasonable groups at normal shooting distances - say out to 10 yards. Just for fun, I did shoot at a 5 gallon steel bucket at 100 yards and hit it twice out of six shots. (One hit really square and actually penetrated the bucket. That was a surprise!)

If you have ammo - I definitely recommend going slow to get used to how it shoots and then run the target down a bit. The sights are minuscule, but they do help as you get farther out.

I think they are really cool little guns. I love the design, and think it may have been the first commercial striker fired pistol. (Take that Glock fans!!)
I believe that Hugo Borchardt beat JMB to the punch for first striker fired pistol, and a Frenchman created the first striker fired firearm (if memory serves).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania!!

Enjoy Our Community
Sir...

For those of you who have shot these, what were these pistols capable of say at 25 feet?
The Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket was not meant to be a target pistol, but only a close quarters belly gun meant for last resort protection. Having said that, the one VP I own can cover the standard distance of most up close & personal protection situations from bad breath to 7 yards (21 feet) on a man size silhouette target with ease.

Effectiveness has everything to do with shot placement...

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
My Colt Model N 1908 Vest Pocket...circa 1923...shown with Mike Poulin crafted Bone stocks:

...but I tend to prefer the VP's two big brother calibers when it comes to self protection...again, shot placement being most important in solving the problem.

Colt Model 1903 Type II Pocket Hammerless...circa 1909... .32 ACP

Colt Model 1908 Type III Pocket Hammerless...circa 1920... .380 ACP

·
Premium Member
21,360 Posts

The Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket was not meant to be a target pistol,
Wait, What?
Fixture Grey Wood Gun barrel Composite material
Air gun Trigger Wood Plant Gun barrel

What you need is a longer barrel!
Automotive parking light Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Colt M1908 25Cal 344795 British Proofed with Long Barrel.
ei8ht®

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I agree with Shooter13, when I shot my M1908 .25 Vest Pocket it was at a regular silhouette target at 7 yards. I just kind of looked over the top of it and squeezed off a magazine full in fairly rapid succession. It put all the shots into the body in a cluster about 10" in diameter. Not bad considering that it had a pitted bore.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
My 1908 with the rough bore and Incredible Hulk trigger shoots about the same as Walter Rego's at 5-7 yards. A 10-12" pattern is about all I can get with factory ammo.
When we found it in Dad's car, he had it loaded with some JHP ammo that had a small steel(?) BB in the hollow cavity. Maybe it turned them into real man-stoppers!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My Colt Model N 1908 Vest Pocket...circa 1923...shown with Mike Poulin crafted Bone stocks:

...but I tend to prefer the VP's two big brother calibers when it comes to self protection...again, shot placement being most important in solving the problem.
SHOOTER13, I have your gun's twin, with Poulin grips to boot.😀
Larry

Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Everyday carry Gun accessory

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Material property

1 - 20 of 27 Posts