Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1908 Vest Pocket \"baby Colt\" .25 acp. Educate Me!

Hi Guys, I'm new here, looks like a great site.
I came across two of these “baby Colt .25’s” yesterday. They had wood checkered grips . I don’t know a darn thing about them but want one. How could you not, cute little buggers! Like I said I know nothing about them, these two I guessed were of a prewar vintage. Are they all prewar? The two I saw were well worn with most of the bluing gone or at least faded. I generally prefer nicer condition guns but shooters. The asking price was $350.00 each.

Please educate me just a bit as to ballpark price ranges and scarcity.
Are these old guns good shooters, reliable?
What is the Model/Name for these, Baby 25’s? 1908 Vest Pocket?
Pics for me to ogle would be appreciated!
Offers to sell?
[email protected]

Thanks, Emory

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Re: 1908 Vest Pocket \"baby Colt\" .25 acp. Educate

I've had a couple of the Model 1908 .25's and have one now. I will say that my Model 1908 pistols have never failed. Not once. They feed and function perfectly. They are very well made and sturdy. I actually shoot mine quite often. Handload for it too.

I saw several that met your discription at the Dallas Market Hall gun show yesterday. They were priced from $185 to $275 with little or no finish.

The pair that you found are likely later production pistols if they are sporting checkered walnut grips. The Model 1908 .25 was another Colt casualty of World War II. A few were sold immediately after the war, likely made up from parts on hand.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Re: 1908 Vest Pocket \"baby Colt\" .25 acp. Educate Me!

i will add just a little to the excellent replies.the 1908 was a very popular pistol and around 500k were produced 1908- 40`s. the early guns had a round top hard rubber stocks and lacked the mag disc. safety, mid production had a flat top profile h/r stocks. most colt`s produced after 1926 had checkered wood stocks, revolvers and auto changed to wood around that time.collectors pay a slight premium for the early guns. i have a very nice 1908 i bought last yr. for 240$. i think 350 will buy a nice 90% gun if you shop around.they are little gems and popular with collectors in high condition. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts

If you are going to spend around $350 for one them , it better look MORE like this.......................

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks very much for your responses and good information.
I am looking to buy one and will post so in the classifieds, as well as here.
I was somehow surprised to see so many were made. (400,000+). Good for me, I should be able to find a relatively high condition gun at a reasonable price. I have gravitated to also liking my guns to have the box. It’s some kind of addiction I’m not fighting.
[email protected]
Emory

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

shuck my corn, thats a nice, late, 1908. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts

That's more like a $500+ gun if you ask me,,,from the picture anyway.I like seeing the case colors on mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Like bmcgilvray I shoot mine often and handload for it. Very interesting, stuffing those tiny cases but thats another story.
I think the price is a bit on the high side of the ballpark. These tiny guns are fun to shoot, though I have a bit of trouble because of huge hands. Can't hardly get a grip on the wee beast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts