Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
It did some traveling....to the UK and back apparently.
Possible Lend-Lease to UK in WWII. In 1940 they were desperate for ANY kinds of weapons- some Home Guards were issued bayonets welded to lengths of pipe as pikes. Many Americans sent privately-owned guns; this may be one. If so, this one is lucky to have made it back- the British, in spite of promises to return them, destroyed millions of "evil" :rolleyes: weapons after the war.:(
May or may not have been rechambered- .455 should fit in a .45 Colt chamber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure the grips aren't correct because they are lacking the markings. I just picked this up and am wondering if you could give me a little more insight to why you think it was refinished. I'm trying to learn so please don't think I'm taking offense :)

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
What markings do you think the stocks should have? The Army Model 1909 has unmarked stocks.

I know the gun is refinished because it should have the "black mirror" commercial finish, and it instead has a near matte finish.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Yes...the original finish would have been the same as one sees on other Colt Revolvers of the circa 1909 to 1912 or so period.

The finish this Revolver has not appears matte or somewhat flat and darker in it's way...less 'Blue' and no 'Fire Blue' details.

I would also venture to guess this was a private US person's donation to the Gun Drives for Britain, or was a privately owned Revolver someone over there ended up with that ended up being Stamped or Proofed or handed over to their Limitary for them to hand out. It is possible it was recalled from some National Guard Post or other to be put into 'Lend Lease', but, less likely that I would guess, than that it was part of the private Gun Donation Drives.

Does it have the 'Not British Make' Stamp on it?

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Yes...the original finish would have been the same as one sees on other Colt Revolvers of the circa 1909 to 1912 or so period.

The finish this Revolver has not appears matte or somewhat flat and darker in it's way...less 'Blue' and no 'Fire Blue' details.I

May be an english Arsenal Re-Finish from WWI or WWIi in which no Buffing was done, since all the edges still appear crisp and nice and no dished out Screw Holes.

I would also venture to guess this was a private US person's donation to the Gun Drives for Britain, or was a privately owned Revolver that was over there already and ended up being Stamped or Proofed or handed over to their Military for them to hand out as they saw fit. It is possible it was recalled from some National Guard Post or other to be put into 'Lend Lease', but, less likely that I would guess, than that it was part of the private Gun Donation Drives.

Does it have the 'Not British Make' Stamp on it?

What is stamped on the Left above the front area of the Trigger? Is it "455 Mark III"? Or..?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I thought the grips should have RAC stamped on the bottom of them...
The Army 1909 had "RAC" on the bottom of each stock. If fitted with replacements, there may be no marking. The Navy and Marine Corps 1909 stocks were unmarked.

Buck

Reactions: Abe Anglin

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
OF COURSE the Model 1909 has the "RAC" inspector's stamp on each panel! The "Old Timers" is working overtime this evening. When the question about "markings" arose, I was thinking that they surely are inspector-marked, but actually went to the vault room and pulled out a Model 1909 to verify. I did not take it to the desk lamp to properly illuminate it, and, in the dark corner of the room, I did not see the tiny "RAC" stamps. (On the Model 1909 I inspected, each panel has a couple of dings on the bottom near the stamps, and that helped camouflage the tiny stamps so that I did not see them.) Therefore, after my failed inspection, I revised my response to indicate no markings. Sorry for the very careless error.

As small as the markings are, it is possible to miss them (if you are really careless!), or they could easily have been sanded off if the stocks were refinished when the gun was refinished.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have two questions that may shed some light on your revolver:

1. Is there a "C" with an arrow in it on the right side of the frame, near the stocks and trigger guard? and

2. Does it have the letters "BB" with a number stamped on it anywhere, such as on the frame, the crane near the serial number and on the rear face of the cylinder?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The "Old Timers" is working overtime this evening.
Judge,

There are a few of us, um, "seasoned" folks who come down with CRS from time to time. :bang_wall: There's too much stuff in there to get it all out sometimes.

Buck

·
Registered
577 Posts
The barrel markings asked about are post-war British commercial proofmarks, not British military markings. There may be other relevant markings but I can't see them in these photos.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The mark says .455 MK VI. As far as any BB marking with numbers I don't see it anyplace and I didn't see a c with an arrow at all either. The only other marks I see is a little crown type thing on it's side with a curved line to the left. That same marking is on every cylinder.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
The mark says .455 MK VI. As far as any BB marking with numbers I don't see it anyplace and I didn't see a c with an arrow at all either. The only other marks I see is a little crown type thing on it's side with a curved line to the left. That same marking is on every cylinder.

Pretty unusual for a M1909 to have ended up with these Stamps/Marks on it.

And definitely interesting that it has them. WOuld be odd enough if a m1917 had them, let alone, an '09.

So...what these Stamps mean then, is that sometime after WWII, the Revolver was in England, and was then Proofed and slated for resale in england, likely by a Dealer, having previously been in Private Hands ( where no Proofs had been required ) ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for the information. I know this isn't the most pristine 1909 out there but I'm happy with it. I wish it could talk and tell me it's history. I know it is all in the eye of the beholder but what do the proof marks and reblueing do from a collectors stand point?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts