Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to all who took the time to reply to my 1909 question. I went back the next day and the revolver was gone. Apparently two guys from out of town stopped at the shop later that same day and almost came to blows over who was taking it home. Sigh, I guess I learned a valuable lesson about researching before I buy :).

On that note, the only Colt book in my reference library is RL Wilson. That is probably a great reference if I collected finely engraved mint examples that cost more than my first house. Could anyone recommend a good reference for martial Colt revolvers *after* the SAA? I know the SAAs are a field unto themselves as is the 1911. If there is a good book covering the rest of Colt's military handgun contributions (or just the revolvers) I would sure pick it up.

Thanks again,
Tim

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Get "U.S Handguns of World War Two; The Secondary Pistols and Revolvers" by Charles W. Pate.

No coverage on the 1889-1903 side swing left wheelers,but 1909 covered briefly and "tons" of stuff on the 1917s,Commandos, etc. and even Colts and S&Ws bought in small quanities.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
I have learned the lesson several times not to pass up anything I might want. He who hesitates is lost! Of coures, that can cause you trouble if you buy the first item that you see, and then run onto a more desirable item just down the line and your money is gone!

The example I have never gotten over is this one. I was at a gun show in 1989 just before the Bush41 import ban on "assault rifles." I bought a desirable gun just inside the door (actually a Smith & Wesson!) that took all my cash. A few tables down was a like new bare Steyr AUG Special Receiver that I needed to finish the "Sniper" Heavy Barrel AUG rifle for which I had every part except the receiver. With my money gone, I took the guy's name and told him I would call him Monday and make arrangements to buy the receiver. He would not hold it for me.

The ban was announced the following Monday (I think it was) and I spent the day looking for new AUG Special Receivers (and regular AUGs) and some of the rifles I had always planned to buy but had not. All were gone immediately so I called the guy with the AUG receiver. Unfortunately, he had heard about the ban and claimed to have alreay sold the receiver, but if my money got there first, I could have it. That did not set well with me, but I assumed it was just a justification for doubling the price. I got him the money via overnight courier and got the receiver. It turned out to be cheap as time went by and I have certainly enjoyed the rifle over the time since.

The lesson is, if you want it, do not wait. You may never get another chance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hear ya. I've learned that lesson the hard way, too.

One option would be to put money down on it, layaway if they have it, to hold it. Usually fairly cheap to do and if it's not something you want, take the 20.00 hit and let it go back out.

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts