Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a gun show and bought a shooter-grade 1909 military New Service revolver. It's heavily buffed and re-blued with faint markings, but nice and tight. I don't see many 1909 military guns out there at all, in any condition. I imagine a nice one would bring a grand or so. Any of you recently bought one?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Robert: I bought mine years ago. They are pretty scarce guns, and the accoutrements are even harder to find. I understand that only 19,503 were made, with the great bulk of them having been shipped to the US Army in the Philippines. They probably saw hard use there which may account in part for their relative scarcity. The Model of 1909 was sort of an interim gun as the Army was actively searching for a semiautomatic pistol. Of course, as is well known that search ended with the adoption just two years later of the Colt M1911. The pic shows my revolver with a Mills M1910 4-pocket cartridge belt designed for use with this revolver. Also shown is the Model of 1909 Holster made by Rock Island Arsenal in 1911. Its flap has unit markings of 308/B/42. Also included is a box of the Model of 1909 .45 ammunition manufactured at Frankford Arsenal. These are neat guns with a lot of history attached to them. Show us a pic of yours! Charlie Flick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice set-up Charlie. I finally found a nice 1909 at a gun show a couple of months ago. Only paid $475 for it. Now I have to look for the rest of the rig like you have. I know the 09 belt is not cheap and the early RIA holsters are hard to find. But the challenges to find items to complete a project is what makes this hobby fun. Ray
http://webpages.charter.net/ray02/1909-1.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tried to post a direct photo of the 09 but couldn't find out how. To see the photo of it, click on the website address below my post, Ray

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Let me try.
Hows that, rayg?
You have to put
immediately after .JPG and it will post, it's the same from host sites.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-14-2004).]

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey Ray: Glad you found your way over here. It is a good Forum that is developing some momentum now. I like your revolver, and I can tell you that you got a MUCH better deal on it than I got on mine. I know you have some more Colts. Post some pics of them when you get the time! Charlie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for posting the photo for me Dick. Charlie I only have a Colt 1911 and a minty 1917. Oops I almost forgot I also have a Cav SAA and an Art SAA and a 1892 but none of them are anything to write home about condition wise. I'll try posting the 1917 and 1911 tomorrow and maybe the other ones also, Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay here's a try at posting the 99% condt 1917. Ray

Charlie we just bought a condo in Flordia in the punta Gorda/Port Charolette area. Is that anywhere near you.

imghttp://webpages.charter.net/ray02/1917-2.JPG/img

·
Registered
19 Posts
Didn't work, what did I do wrong? one more try.

img/http://webpages.charter.net/ray02/1917-2.JPG/img

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
rayg, you forgot the brackets around

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT JOIN THE NRA
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-15-2004).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay Dick, here's another try with the SAA Colts. The Cav is D.F.C. 1881 dated. Neither are the greatest of condition but not beaters at least. Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 7-1/2" barrel on the Cav is original. The lighting of the photo cast a shadow which could give the wrong impression. Ray

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
By jove, I think rayg finally got it!

Those SAAs are nice looking. Think of what anything would look like after 123 years, so they are definitely not beaters, they are a piece of history.
Enjoy.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT JOIN THE NRA
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-15-2004).]

·
Registered
574 Posts
RayG: Those are very handsome SAAs. I know how tough decent martial SAAs are to find, and afford. Nice stuff there. I tried to email you this morning and my messages to you bounced back twice as undeliverable. Send me a message so I know what your correct address is, and I'll try re-sending them again. Thanks for the post. Charlie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts